The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: perchance to dream

The Pancake Chronicles

Saturday, June 17, 2006

perchance to dream

Deep, blissful satisfactory sleep. I didn't know I was enjoying it until I was awakened by the frantic barking of the dog next door. Noooo. I've just this second realised how truly happy I was. It's too soon for it to be over! Shut up, you stupid dog! Okay, don't work yourself up. Anxiety will keep you from experiencing the sweet bliss you indulged in seconds ago. What to do? I propped an elbow up and jammed a finger in one ear, the other ear muffled by pillow. Don't think about the dog. Don't think about the dog. You are sleepy and happy and ... zzzzzzzzz.

It worked well because three hours later I woke up feeling rested and serene and my finger still lodged peacefully in one ear.
*

7 Comments:

Blogger Ace said...

Hey there!
I'm glad I don't hear dogs barking while I'm sleeping. Perhaps the dog was begging for a midnight snack of peanut butter cookies! =)
Cheers,

18 June 2006 at 17:28  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hello, kanks! It was so good of you to visit! Alas, I am afraid this was no midnight snacking dog. It was around 7 in the morning and all I wanted to do was snore the morning away. The dog really had every reason to be barking happily at the sun. Sigh. Yes, I'm a doggie killjoy.

19 June 2006 at 07:26  
Blogger Laurie said...

I read your post to Eric and he thought it was quite poetic.

19 June 2006 at 15:00  
Blogger Talena said...

All I'll say is:

LOL!

Glad you got to go back to sleep. Instead of dogs at 7 am, I get kids and baby, and they don't usually allow me the indulgence of going back to dreamland. Lucky.

20 June 2006 at 16:13  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, Laurie! That was a nice thing to say.

Welcome back to the north, T! I'm glad I could zzzzz, too. It's hard these days with light practically pouring in all night long!

21 June 2006 at 11:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a mental picture of you waking up with your finger in your ear. How can you sleep peacefully with a finger in one ear? What if you couldn't get your finger out of your ear? How would you put your shirt on? Did you lose feeling in your arm? Perhaps duct tape would have been a better alternative. You could write a 'Red Green' episode. Duct tape the dog

30 June 2006 at 00:02  
Blogger Colleen said...

Wilds, I will try and answer your questions to your satisfaction but it's doubtful I can. I had deep increulousosity (I'm SURE that's a word) upon waking up with a phlange in my face. I had all the feeling in my arm still. I concur that Red Green just may be interested in my story. Alas, it's too bad this was his last year to air. Sigh. My only chance for fame and I blew it.

2 July 2006 at 18:32  

any questions?

<< Home