The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Foo Fighter

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Foo Fighter

I fell in love with a fish. It was an accident, I swear. He was in a plastic cup and so were the others but he stood out somehow. I drove him home whilst feeling so happy I thought I would burst. My happiness was an accident. I just wanted a fish. It would look pretty in a bowl. I could use seashells. Into our house I went and into the bowl went he. Lurching, swimmy fish in a pretty bowl. Yet bit by bit the hare became a turtle. Laying still at the bottom, fins drooped. He didn't eat for three days. I cried. That was definitely an accident. Who cries over a dumb fish? Stupid, silly girl. Just get another one! Instead I read and read. I warmed his water and he darted at me and ate his food. So I bought an aquarium. An accident. But he'll do better there. It keeps the temperature consistent, you know. He won't have that warming light glaring at him all day! Much more like his natural environment.

My thumb and finger pinch a submarined twist of fishy delight. He glares at me, paces the water. Deft lunge and snag, holds the snack like a drooped stub of cigar and swirls away.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A beautiful post! I understand the wonder of finding yourself in love with another bit of life, no matter how small. Does your fishy have a name yet? May he have a long and happy life!

9 July 2006 at 21:52  
Blogger Kori's House said...

We have had a few fighting fish in our home, One lasted for more than 2 years which I hear is rare!!
Now that we are moved and settled my kids are asking for a new one...

I think you need to post a picture of him/her :)

9 July 2006 at 23:24  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hello, Mon. His name is Foo and he's a fighter fish. I just got him eating from my hand. It's darn cool! Hmmm. I'm sure your kitties would like him! slurp. :P

Hi, Kori. They're neat fish, aren't they? Beautiful, too. Once I get him moved into his aquarium I'm planning on taking a pic. Did you ever try holding up a mirror to your fighters? They think it's another male so they flare out their gills and display their tails, much like a peacock. It's fun to see.

9 July 2006 at 23:40  
Blogger Talena said...

Colleen, you mirror-tormenting wicked fish-mom, you.

Love your words. As usual.

Love you!

10 July 2006 at 15:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to prove my point about your writing.

11 July 2006 at 12:00  
Blogger Colleen said...

T, C - TURKEYS, all of y'all. Thank you for your words about mine. You are helping me to be braver than I have been and that means more than you know.

11 July 2006 at 12:22  
Blogger Mocha said...

You must really love that fish. You bought him a bigger house! ;-)

12 July 2006 at 10:01  
Blogger Colleen said...

'Tis true, Mochie. Sad? Possibly. But definitely true. I like his swirly ways.

12 July 2006 at 10:45  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Congrats on the newest addition to your fam. "Foo" is a fantastic name for a fightin' fish (don't you love the alliteration). In college we had a fish in a big aquarium that we named Shmee, I think he was the same kind of fish. Too fun girl!

Luv me

15 July 2006 at 05:22  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, Chick! He makes my heart sing a song that goes a little like this:

~dee dee dee dooie boo da~ and then imagine me kicking my heels followed by a broadway jazz hands kind of thing.

If that is hard to picture then imagine me clasping my hands over my heart and spinning.

All for a fish? I don't deny it.

I think I met your Shmee way back when. Wasn't there also a Sir Iasis?

15 July 2006 at 07:28  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

It was Siriasis. Kind of gross, but he was named after the skin condition because he looked like he had it himself. Mean I know, but that poor lil' fishy was a happy wee thing. Sadly our dear fisy passed away before Shmee. They lived a long and happy life. Long live the rememberance of fishies once loved so dearly.

15 July 2006 at 09:03  
Blogger Colleen said...

Near, far, wherever they are
I believe that their hearts do go on.

15 July 2006 at 10:28  
Blogger Ace said...

I thought I had left a comment.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story :)

16 July 2006 at 04:00  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, Aakanksha! I'm very glad you did. And Foo thanks you, too. He helped me with alot of the spelling. ;-)

16 July 2006 at 08:16  

any questions?

<< Home