The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Muppet Headquarters

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, July 17, 2006

Muppet Headquarters

This morning in between sips of coffee and catching up on some reading I watched a few minutes of Nanalan'. Whenever I have a free weekday morning and a half hour to spare I will tune in. Never mind that it's for kids or that I have no children yet of my own. There's a big something in me that sponges up every move of this sweet, simple, creative, endearing, funny, adorable group of puppets. It reminds me how life should feel when it's at its best. Now all of this, I believe, goes back to my (somewhat) secret desire to work for The Muppets. Silliness, bad puns, fake accents. Come on, Pigs in Space? Does it get better than this? Imagine laughing all day and playing off of each other's creativity.The only thing I worry about is how tired my arm would get as the blood would exit stage south and pool in my neck. This and the fact that I am thousands of miles away from Muppet Headquarters has hindered my career choice. And by the way, doesn't it just make you smile when you think of Muppet Headquarters? What would that be like? Imagine this completely ordinary-looking building from the outside but once inside - crazy-coloured mayhem. Some pink furry mup with a blond fro is the receptionist and she's yelling on the phone because Animal is banging cymbals . Someone else is juggling unboiled eggs as you sidestep chickens rollerblading past your knees (Fozzie scribbling down madly a new poultry joke) whilst you duck Snuffalupagus' trunk which swings wildly and knocks down a filing cabinet. Meanwhile Kermit is hanging from a swinging lightbulb trying to regain order wishing aloud he was back at the swamp and the grey-haired Statler and Waldorf saying “I guess all's well that ends well" and "I don't care, as long as it ends" followed by old man laughter. If it existed I would be there.

+Nanalan' is on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp) and this is the schedule. I don't think it's showing yet in the US but DVDs are available on eBay+

8 Comments:

Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Ok, so love, love, love, The Muppet Show!!!! I want to own all the DVD's of the TV show. That would be my secret hearts desire. When we went to Disneyland & California Adventure we went to the 3D Muppet Show. This made my heart sing with so much joy, I could hardly contain myself. You sit in "the theatre", as if you were in the real show. I felt like I was actually on The Muppet Show. My heart was so content! Tee hee hee. I can relate to the passion.
By the way, thanks for pointing me to Nanalan. I really think this show is a gem. I have to make a point of turning it on in the mornings for lil' O. So adorable.

17 July 2006 at 15:58  
Blogger Rachel said...

No, Shari and Collen. I LOVE the muppet show. The first Muppet movie was the my very first experience in a movie theatre when I was around 5 or 6 yrs old.
My favorite is Animal and the chef. Great memories of watching the Muppet Show with my bro on the good ole TV set with rabbit ears.
I didn't know there was a 3D show at Disneyland...I am so there when we take the kids in two years!

17 July 2006 at 22:46  
Blogger Talena said...

You would be awesome there, too. Just the fact that you could visualize that tells me that Jim Henson really ought to be giving you a call!

My word verification is "ozyss"--as in, "Oz yss just over the rainbow?" Whadya' think?

18 July 2006 at 00:28  
Blogger Unknown said...

One name: Beaker! My inspiration and motivation to get into chemistry! (Ok, that and an amazing teacher in high school). Colleen, I'm about to reveal something I haven't told anyone else. Last year I bought a Muppet Show CD so I could sing along with my favourite Muppet tunes, most of which I remember hearing for the first time in your bedroom on Qualicum, all those years ago.

18 July 2006 at 00:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TELL me you've seen Muppets From Space, Colleeny. Don't disappoint me now...

18 July 2006 at 06:41  
Blogger Colleen said...

Oh Dickie - Nanalan' rocks! And don't you think your mom would just love it seeing as how it's called Nanalan? Although, she looks nothing like the Nana from the show. :) I wish I could have been at that Muppet Theatre with you so my heart could have joy-sung with yours. We could have hucked rotten eggs and tomatoes at all the bad acts. I never even considered there may be DVDs of the show! That would be fantastic!

Rachel - my older brother could do a great imitation of the Swedish Chef which used to send me into giggles when I was little, okay it still does. I think Animal always scared me a little. :/ Hmmm. I always related to Ralph the Dog fighting with his music that kept flipping over to the wrong page and (time passes) Don Music. Okay. I just looked up this guy - I never knew his name before now but he was this muppet who would get frustrated that he couldn't remember a basic song like Mary Had a Little Lamb and would start banging his head on the piano. Unbeknownst to me before today (good old Wikipedia) parents complained and had Don Music removed as he wasn't a good example on how to deal with anger! Strange that he should be one of my favourites. gleep. (Wow! Sorry for the novel-long reply!)

T-bean, thank you. You oft affirm me. What else can I say? Where else could a person get paid to deliver bad one-liners? I may have been born for it. HA! "Oz yss" somewhere where troubles melt like lemondrops - it's a sign, a (not so) hidden meaning we must unearth. Which reminds me - II haven't seen the Muppets Wizard of Oz. Have you? (I once had a word verification that was holym. It tickled me.)

Ah yes, Monky - Beaker. He is my all-time favourite. I didn't know he was yours! But it's all becoming clear, my dear chemist. Although my brother can imitate the Swedish Chef I unfortunately can do a startling Beaker impression. It's all about making your chin disappear which is a regrettable gifting indeed. I'll have to show you sometime. And last but not least ... HOORAY! you bought a Muppet CD. :D Right on. Which one did you get? I have been looking for the identical one to the cassette I used to have but to no avail.

18 July 2006 at 07:21  
Blogger Colleen said...

Kello, uh-oh. I have some movie renting to do. Why is it that I have the strangest feeling of being unfaithful? Do not be disappointed. This week's rentals? Muppets in Space and Muppets Wizard of Oz. May the fear that haunts your heart be promptly relieved. I vow to move out of the 70's and update myself with modern muppetness.

Monky! An addendum. A couple years ago my brother Jon gave Dave a stuffed Swedish Chef and me? Beaker. For all the years of impressing him with our entertaininment -oops!- I mean entertaining him with our impressions.

18 July 2006 at 07:30  
Blogger Laurie said...

Why can I so see you doing a Beaker. You will have to show us next time we do dinner. Oh and don't forget about The Muppets take Manhatten it is so funny. It was on TV today and I watched it. We took the kids to The Muppets 3D when we were in Disney too and it was awesome. They even have the old guys talking in the balcony.

22 July 2006 at 23:00  

any questions?

<< Home