The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Christmas Même

The Pancake Chronicles

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas Même

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Candy cane white hot chocolate. Oh my. WARNING: sit down before consuming. Has been known to give consumer weak knees.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Mrs. Claus wraps. Mr? Not so much. :)

3. Coloured lights on tree/house or white? I wanted to put up coloured lights this year for a change. But alas my white light rut was too deep so they remain. Next year 'twill be coloured, I promise.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yup! The mistletoe itself is even getting into it as this morning I discovered it had kissed the floor. I will have to hang it up again.

5. When do you put your decorations up? This year 'twas December 10th.

6. What is your favourite holiday dish?
I love my mom's carrot cookies and butter tarts.

7. Favourite Holiday memory as a child? My older brother always went to a lot of work to give gifts in a fun way - like making us follow a trail around the house or hiding them. My dad also would wrap gifts with odd "extras" in them like bells or rattles or funny weighted items just so you couldn't figure out what was inside. He usually did that to my mom who could tell what was in a package just by winking at it in hopes it would throw her off.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? We were told as kids that Santa was just a tradition but that he wasn't real. I think this upsets some adults more than it did me! We loved Santa and enjoyed asking him for gifts in the mall and all that goes along with it. It didn't bother me one iota nor did it take away from my joy of Christmas.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
As kids we did. I usually wanted to wait and open them all on Christmas Day but once I saw my brother open one I'd want to open one, too. Now we just open them all on the Big Day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? With homemade ornaments on a big old fake. I think next year I would like to have a mini real tree as well just to get my true piney fix.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE!

12. Can you ice skate? I used to be able to as a kid in snowy Saskatchewan. I was thinking this year how I'd like to try it again, wobbly legs and all. Perhaps I'll tie a pillow to my butt.

13. Do you remember your favourite gift? My dad made me a dollhouse when I was about 5 or 6. It was as big as I was and I LOVED it.

14. What is/are your favourite thing(s) about the holidays? Snow. Those I love. The idea that people around the world are celebrating at the same time as me. The anticipation. The preparation. Staring at the tree and dreaming. I like thinking about Jesus being a baby.

15. What is your favourite holiday dessert? Carrot cookies a'plenty.

16. What is your favourite holiday tradition? I love stockings! As kids we could open that as soon as we woke up in the morning. Mom would always make a huge breakfast of waffles.

17. What tops your tree? Sadly nothing this year. I just haven't found the perfect thing. It actually looks kinda nice without it but I'd much rather have a special little something with which to don.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Mmm ... maybe giving. It's fun if you've found the perfect thing that you know someone will love (hi, mom!)

19. What is your favourite Christmas song? I think ... The Huron Carol. It's haunting and lovely and evokes such a beautiful picture in my mind.

20. What is your favourite holiday book? Snowman by Jacues Duquennoy. I found it at Winners in Calgary a couple of years ago for only $2 and wish I'd stockpiled on them for gifts. It's a large hardcover book with the sweetest illustrations. There are barely any words, mostly pictures. It's so whimsical it makes my heart ache. I've looked for it online but I don't think they make the book anymore.

21. Candy canes - yuck or yum? Yum for the most part. Not alone but in things - like whipped cream or hot chocolate.

22. What's number one on your Christmas list this year? I would love to feel caught up in the moment with my good friends. I would love to be intentional with how I appreciate and enjoy them.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Colleen :)
Your comments brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face (oxymoron?). So many memories came flooding back.....thank you for adding that special touch to our home alone Christmas. Now Dad wants us to answer those questions as well.....should be fun and interesting!
and....I promise you a full batch of carrot cookies when I come to see you in February!!!

May your stocking be full to overflowing :0
Christmas hugs,

From your snow-bound Mama......yes we are going to have a white Christmas!!!

23 December 2006 at 12:24  
Blogger Laurie said...

Thank you for sharing and a Merry Christmas to you guys to Colleen.

23 December 2006 at 19:59  
Blogger Kori's House said...

That was very fun to read!

The Huron Carol stumped me?!?!

23 December 2006 at 23:54  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hooray! MAMA! I'm glad you liked it. I'm interested to hear what you and Dad come up with since you've been around a Christmas or two longer than I. ;) I'm already looking forward to those cookies. I tried the butter tarts last night and ... well ... their good but yours somehow just ROCK.

Hi Laurie! I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve with you. :)

Hey Kori! The Huron Carol is a Canadian carol, maybe the only one, I don't know! It starts of "'twas in the moon of wintertime...." There's a beautiful story behind it. I've only recently come to know it but I loved it right away.

Sonya Bean! Sneaky Gary. I'm not sure what that is ... the whole not wrapping thing. I don't think either of my brothers wrap gifts either so I had a bit of a head's up before Mark came along. My dad can wrap gifts better than any of us and unfortunately did not pass that gene on to the boys! :)

24 December 2006 at 09:03  
Blogger Rachel said...

That was fun to read Colleen! You just have a way of writing that makes everything so interesting.
I hope you get your carrot cookies soon.....I've never had them but they do sound intriguing!
Merry Christmas to you and Mark!

24 December 2006 at 10:12  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you, Rachel! You are a good encourager.
And guess what? When my mom comes to visit in February she's going to make me a whole wack of carrot cookies. Yay! They are a rolled out cookie, cut into circles, a dollop of tart plum jam placed in the middle, dough gets wrapped about it, baked, smeared with a bit of icing. Sigh, so good. There are shredded carrots in the dough but the cookie itself doesn't taste like carrots. Anyhoo. I love 'em!

Merry Christmas to you and your boys!

25 December 2006 at 14:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great that your Mom reads and comments on your blog. You both seem to be close friends as well. :-)
Love to read your stuff. I'm glad you comment on our friends blog from time to time (reminds me to visit snowedinn).
Love this meme. Love your writing. You discovered the mistletoe had kissed the floor. Funny!

31 December 2006 at 08:25  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Susan! I'm having fun reading all your comments at one go! Yup, my mom and I get along well. She's great. And yes, "our friend" is wonderful. I can testify to this as we were roomies for a year and a half. I couldn't have shared a house with a better girl.

1 January 2007 at 13:40  

any questions?

<< Home