The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: in a nutshell - first installment

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

in a nutshell - first installment

The first year I was out of high school I ... did nothing. Next to nothing. It was like I longed for a year of nothing. I'm not sure that longing has ever really left me despite having experienced it. :) I took one college class at CBC in Abbotsford with my mom and Shari B. Other than that I didn't have a job or a life or anything. I don't know WHAT I did. What did I do? Oh. I went on a 2 week missions trip to Mexico but beyond that I have few memories. But all is not lost. I did not continue doing nothing. For the following year I headed off to Capernwray on Thetis Island. More precisely it is a wee island off of Vancouver Island which is a rather large island off of the west coast of British Columbia in Canada. Got that? Good. I loved Capernwray. I spent two years there in total. It was awesome. It was life changing. I still get Cape cravings. The beauty that met me each morning and evening as I walked to and from classes was second to none. I met a guy there who asked me to marry him and I said yes. In my heart I knew it wasn't a good idea and thankfully I got out of that relationship. Of course at that time it was a major ordeal and I had to learn and unlearn much from it. When I was finished my second year of Cape my parents decided that we were moving to Vernon in zee bootiful Okanagan. For some reason I never missed Abbotsford despite the many good years there. Maybe it was the two years of being at Capernwray that didn't make it hard to leave. I learned to love Vernon quickly. I worked and played there for 2 ½ years and I don't think I've ever had so much fun as I did then. If I had had my own way I would still be there but then other good things couldn't have happened and that's just the way it is. I decided to go on a boat trip that would take me from Vancouver to Haiti via the Panama Canal. The trip would be 10 months long and the goal of the trip was to deliver the boat we were on to Haiti in order to establish a marine-based mission. A boat would be able to reach many people that roads could not. That trip was insane. This was no pleasure cruise and I have many close call life and death stories from that period of my life. I also cut my hair short short and that felt like life and death! I came back in one piece and when I got to the Vancouver airport I kissed the ground. I went home to Vernon and quickly discovered that there was no work to be had. I was also craving to move out on my own. Through a series of events I found a job in Calgary as a receptionist at a large church. I sadly left Vernon behind to my next big adventure.

Photo 1 - big hair circa 1992
Photo 2 - daily view at Capernwray
Photo 3 - my favourite tree on the road to my house in Vernon
Photo 4 - the boat I lived on July '97 to May '98
Photo 5 - as tanned as I'll ever be during my trip whilst in Haiti

*

14 Comments:

Blogger villagegirl said...

Oh yay! i'm so glad you're telling your story! I can't wait for the rest of it.

3 January 2007 at 12:22  
Blogger Rachel said...

more more more more more more
moooooooorrrrrrrreeeeeee

I'll try and be patient.

3 January 2007 at 17:35  
Blogger Talena said...

Hi, Colleen. Love the picture of you in short hair. Your hair was pretty short when I met you--but not THAT short!

Living in Calgary. Large church. Yes, I remember. I think we must just not be "large church" people, 'cause that church was too scary-big for us--we didn't hit it off. By then, of course, you had moved on to colder pastures. I'm sure if YOU had been there, we would have hit it off just fine! :-)

Love ya!

3 January 2007 at 21:20  
Blogger Kori's House said...

I am on the edge of my seat!!

Was the boat trip with a missions organization?

3 January 2007 at 23:57  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Yeah yeah yeah!! I love hearing stories about your life (even though I secretely know lots of the details already, and perhaps even shared in some of those memories - it's been an honour!). ;)
More more more. We want to hear more!

4 January 2007 at 10:19  
Blogger Colleen said...

You guys make me feel like I have an interesting life! HA!

Rachel, you make me laugh!

How does one cram 16 years (ACK!) since high school into a little blurb??? When I was writing this I realised I could spend forevergiving all the details. It just feels strange to describe 8 years of your life in a couple of paragraphs - VERY strange ... almost like - that's it? I'm sure more happened than just two paragraphs!

Talena, my hair was even shorter than that at one point. I think I cried when I first got it cut. Sad, but true.

The boat trip was a foundling missions organisation. We were brand spanking new. I have SO many crazy stories from that time of my life. It's probably high time I wrote all that down somewhere. Maybe I'll write about it here at some point.

More more more will be coming to a computer near you ....

5 January 2007 at 08:15  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

I am also waiting patiently! This is so much fun!!!!

5 January 2007 at 12:35  
Blogger Ace said...

Wow! You, my friend are quite the adventurer/explorer!! The second photo you've shared, captures my heart. I would just loooove to wake up to scenery like that.

How're you doing today?

Cheers,

5 January 2007 at 13:50  
Blogger Colleen said...

Keri, it's fun for me, too! I'm trying to narrow it all down but it's hard!

Ace! That picture you love is of my favourite tree. I drove this road everyday. I wish I could live there again. Maybe someday. I actually had literal pain in my heart when I first moved away because I was so in love with the beauty of the place. I'm good, hot stuff! ;)

5 January 2007 at 20:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calgary was a special place, even though it took a while to settle into an accommodation. Once finding a roommate who would be a life long friend, I began to slowly think about furnishing the basement suite. Much to the chagrin of myself and the roommate, very little furniture could fit in the doorway. Oh dear. All was well in the long run. How many TV's did we borrow?

I am soooooo glad you came to Calgary. You have become one of the dearest friends in my life; a gift from God; an answer to my prayer.

I can't wait to read more of the great adventure's of Colleen.

5 January 2007 at 21:42  
Blogger Colleen said...

Yup, Cheryl! We were like white trash for a week or so with our "free" couch sitting outside our doorway. I say "free" in " " because I remember that someone gave us the couch but then we had to pay to get rid of it. We were poor and that sucked. But YOU did NOT suck. You were the greatest (albeit only but STILL the greatest) roomie I ever did have. (Of course that excludes my present roomie but that goes without saying I should think. Apples and oranges.) You too have been a gift, Ruthie - then and now. And I'm not sure how many TVs we borrowed. All I remember is static, lots of static.

6 January 2007 at 08:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to Victoria British Columbia and passed by Vancouver but I'd love to visit again and include the beautiful island you speak of.
I'm just getting to know you but I feel I know you already. The way you share on your blog coupled with our mutual friend makes me feel we are friends. :-)
I look forward to reading more about your life. :-)))

6 January 2007 at 09:17  
Blogger Monika said...

It was great reading about your past adventures and I look forward to part 2 coming soon!
Moni

6 January 2007 at 13:01  
Blogger Colleen said...

Susan! Thank you. I like you, too and I'm glad you've come and please drop by anytime. I love BlogWorld for this, don't you? :)
BC is very beautiful and there aren't any places there that I can think of that aren't very, very pretty.

Hi Moni! :)

6 January 2007 at 16:17  

any questions?

<< Home