The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: You know I could really go for a <em>sandwich</em>.

The Pancake Chronicles

Saturday, February 24, 2007

You know I could really go for a sandwich.

It's official. I miss my brothers. I will spare you the long road by which I came to this conclusion. Except to tell you that it wasn't actually me that came to this conclusion - 'twas my mom. Growing up I was the filling in a brother sandwich. Yes, the only girl. When I was very little and people asked me if I had any siblings I would say "I have two brothers and two bothers" which would always make people laugh. What was so funny? It was true. They didn't treat me like a princess but I always knew they would have stuck up for me no matter what. The cool thing is that I really like them. If I weren't related to them I would want to know them. The best thing about brothers is being teased and loved at the same time. Via the hard way I discovered that if you tease boys who aren't your brothers they will a) like you and/or b) think you like them. This was a sad discovery for me and I've been lamenting it for some time. My mom is visiting me from zee south right now and I was trying to articulate this feeling of loss.

"You miss your brothers!" she said.

When she said that it was one of those moments whereupon I slapped my internal forehead and thought by George, that's it! That's exactly it. Why something so obvious as this hadn't hit me before I will never know. This was great news for me because although I rarely connect with my brothers (laziness) and though they are far away from me (life) I can change that and work with it. I was mourning something I thought was gone but it's not so all I have to do now is say Wippee! and blow the dust off my phone.

14 Comments:

Blogger Kori's House said...

That is very sweet! I never had any brothers so I can't relate, but it sure sounds great!

24 February 2007 at 22:27  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad my brother went from a bother to a friend!

25 February 2007 at 14:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that...'the filling in a brother sandwich'. I don't have any brothers myself, but I gained 2 when I married Gary and I must say, I quite enjoy having his brothers as my brothers.

25 February 2007 at 15:52  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

I have two sisters and two sisters (in law) and always wanted a brother :)

Yes...dust off that phone!! heehee

25 February 2007 at 17:44  
Blogger Colleen said...

Kori - it's that whole being teased and loved at the same time that's the best part about having brothers for me. I love joking around and hanging out with them.

Rachel - Amen! I'm glad it happened for you, too.

Sonya - Well, really the filling is the most important part, right? Um right, right? :D It's cool that you ended up getting some brothers by default.

Keri - Growing up I never even thought about wishing for a sister. Isn't that weird? I think it's maybe because I had good girlfriends. It's only until recently that I've seen in others that extra dimension a sister would bring. There's a closeness shared between sisters unlike any other relationship it seems. And yes, now that I posted this about brothers I HAVE TO blow off the dust. I'm committed now. (I can be such a lazy pants!)

26 February 2007 at 10:04  
Blogger cayman77 said...

Awwwwwww Cauli F- your so sweet. Its nice having a mix of siblings..... I love having variety.

26 February 2007 at 11:58  
Blogger villagegirl said...

I have one of each as well. And I feel the same about mine. He always teased and tickled and tormented but I never doubted his love. Hey, he taught me to drive stick on his brand new mustang. That's real love. :)

26 February 2007 at 15:45  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

I love this post about your bros! A la peanut-brother sandwich Great picture too! Love the glasses Dave!

27 February 2007 at 07:48  
Blogger Colleen said...

Twu wuv indeedy do, Village Girl! You have obviously wormed your wormy way into their hearts. ♡ Sigh. I wish my brothers had a Mustang!

Shari - Awesome! I love the "ala peanut brother sandwich". That is a pun of high Heppner quality. I am SO PROUD of you. Hee! :D And yes, the glasses are beauts. I'm not sure ... he may still have these, I don't know. This picture was taken about 7 or 8 years ago.

27 February 2007 at 10:35  
Blogger Colleen said...

Woops! Sug! How could I forget you? Variety is good and ... Cauli F? That's hilarious. You make me smile a very LARGE and toothsome smile. :D

27 February 2007 at 10:36  
Blogger Talena said...

Cute photo! I've been dusting off my phone, of late, too. Nice to get off my figurative duff and connect to my family a little more often. I can totally relate to this post!

Luv ya!

27 February 2007 at 23:23  
Blogger Colleen said...

T! It's my favourite photo of them ... I think. I'm glad your brother's so much nearer to you now. It must feel so nice!

x and an o. And LOVE!

28 February 2007 at 23:02  
Blogger Kandace said...

I bet the brother on the left is a funny guy. Don't know why...

6 March 2007 at 22:56  
Blogger Colleen said...

heh heh. Actually they are both are pretty funny guys. My younger brother, Jon (on the left), is more the card and cracks up everyone (or not) with his antics. (see picture) I can giggle with him for extended periods of time. Dave spits out the oneliners and is really witty that way. He makes me laugh. When the three of us get together we have alot of fun.

8 March 2007 at 06:33  

any questions?

<< Home