The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: hugga mugga

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, February 09, 2007

hugga mugga

      I've decided that this month I will not buy coffees or lunches. I usually get a coffee once every two weeks or so which really isn't that bad. Lunch is the same. It's just an occasional thing. Ne'ertheless it's a quick drain on cash so I decided I'd "be good" and abstain. Besides, the real reason I end up going out for lunch or grabbing a cappucino is because:
      a) I didn't pack a lunch the night before or
      b) I'm cold and need to warm up with something hot to drink.
Both of these things can be solved by merely planning ahead.
      Today was c-c-c-cold. I work in a public area and the doors were opening and closing to the Great White North all day. Despite my layers of clothing it was freezing. So I put on my coat and scarf. That took the edge off a little but my hands were still ice cubes in the shape of, well, hands.
      "That's it, God." I talk to God. "I gotta have a coffee. Just to warm up! It can't be healthy shivering like this for hours on end. But I can't buy one. Someone has to bring me one."
      I know.
      So I waited for awhile. It can happen. It has happened.
      But it didn't happen. And I felt my bones chill into permafrost. Yet I felt resolved to stick with my cheap but brilliant plan.
      And kept waiting. I can be very stubborn.
      It struck me then, thankfully, that if I wasn't willing to buy a coffee to meet an actual need of mine to keep warm even though I had the cash to do it then I had a very strange idea of how God takes care of my needs. I had the means to do it and was refusing to do it on the coffee grounds that I needed my money for something else (just what exactly I didn't know but I was sure something would come up) .
      "You're right, God." said I to God. "I'm buying a coffee." My cheap self gave up its ghost.
      Before I could close up shop a lady came in. Browsed. Bought.
      "Keep the change." She smiled. "A tip."
      $1.40, people.
      She left. I woo-hooed! and locked the door behind me. And made a bee-line for Javaroma's.
      I was so excited. I was thinking that for sure a large coffee would cost $1.40. I just had this feeling. God, you're so cool.
      "How much is a large coffee?" asked I.
      "$2.60"
      "Oh." That wasn't even enough for a small coffee. (I live in 1995, I realise.)
      My face must have said it all because the sweet girl behind the counter reached into her mounding tip jar and made up the difference.
      He didn't have to do that. God, I mean. And He doesn't always. But He's like that. I give up stuff I'm hard-headed about and find I don't miss it. I'm not saying life becomes a pile of daisies and falling doughnuts.
      But I'm loved. Right down to the details.
      Tomorrow I'll bring my favourite mug and use the tea kettle.
*

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are an amazing writer, Thanks again for your words...

10 February 2007 at 08:58  
Blogger Talena said...

Thanks for this, Colleen. I'm going to watch how he loves me in the details today. (And be oh-so-thankful when John arrives with a heaping helpin' of firewood. We've been out for over a week--right through the cold-and-snow snap. Blech!)

10 February 2007 at 11:04  
Blogger Kori's House said...

Great post!
I was thinking "Boy, she really does live in another world, a coffee at somewhere other than Tim's for only $1.40, maybe we should move north", Then the truth was told and I smiled that I didn't have to move after all... although it would have been fun to go for cofee after this month is over of course :)

10 February 2007 at 22:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I love how God is into the details.

Once I gave up all fast food for 2 months. It was SO tough! Especially since we're fast food addicts.

10 February 2007 at 22:42  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i just started reading your blog...just today...& this post is about the cutest thing i've seen in a while...loved it...yeah God!

11 February 2007 at 14:08  
Blogger Rachel said...

What a wonderful experience Colleen! And what a wonderful talent you have of telling us that story in a most delightful way!

11 February 2007 at 15:14  
Blogger Colleen said...

Welcome, anonymous and emilyruth!

Thank you for your words, friends new and old. (say it like Grover - thanks everybodeeeee!) It encourages me so much and makes me feel good inside when you affirm me so. I don't feel like my self-worth hangs on your "yays" or "nays" but let's just say it's a very delicious frosting upon the cake of my life. :)

And also, Sonya! Two whole months - 'tis impressive indeed. I did that with sugar and you really start to realise how much you're dependent on the stuff when you decide to give it up!

11 February 2007 at 16:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:::giggling with a mental picture of piles of daisies and falling doughnuts::: What kind of doughnuts? The jelly ones would sure make a mess.

Why would life not become a pile of daisies and falling doughnuts...or rooms made out of bubblewrap?

11 February 2007 at 19:48  
Blogger Colleen said...

Ruthie - to answer your questions:
1)cruellers
2)because, okay?

And last not but least an answer to a question you have not asked:
3)yes, but in the rain

11 February 2007 at 22:39  
Blogger cayman77 said...

I love cruellers! nice and cozy! :) the taste in your mouth is divine.

12 February 2007 at 10:35  
Blogger Colleen said...

Sug, cruellers are truly my fave. I used to like them at Timmy's until they stopped making them at the individual stores. I can totally tell the difference. They suck now. The only good thing about this, of course, is that I don't eat them on a regular basis any longer. In fact I never eat them. Hmmm. How will I fill this crueller hole? HOW?

13 February 2007 at 10:09  

any questions?

<< Home