The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: A little post of me bragging about how cold it is and how light it's getting and that I can handle it and now I'm feeling sheepish about it all ....

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, March 18, 2007

A little post of me bragging about how cold it is and how light it's getting and that I can handle it and now I'm feeling sheepish about it all ....

      Hello. Just hanging out on a Sunday evening not really sure what to do. I'm amazed at how light it is at 7:51 pm. The sun has just set but you wouldn't know it. Well unless you saw that there was no sun of course. It will still be light for at least another hour. The time change has made a HUGE difference here. The length of our days is constantly changing quickly but this extra hour so soon feels strange and wonderful. One month ago when I'd be finishing work I was exclaiming how swell it was that it wasn't dark anymore when I locked up. Fast forward a mere four weeks and there is sunlight to spare into the middle of the evening. It's really hard to explain I think unless you've lived here. Three months from now we'll be in the middle of a stretch where it never actually gets dark. The sun sets but dips and rises just underneath the horizon so that darkness never falls. We could read all night long out of doors with no aid from any light source whatsoever. In fact on Canada Day we don't have fireworks because it would be pointless - we can't see them in the sunshine! To make up for this loss the town holds its annual Caribou Carnival at the end of March and has a great batch of fireworks. We all stand out on the lake, stamping our feet, hopping up and down whilst oohing and aahing in the old fashioned way. Yup! I said we stand on the lake. In March. (WHAT am I DOING here?!?!)
      Oh big stre-e-e-tch. I feel the need for fresh air. You know, etwas frische Luft.
      That's it. I'm opening the front door. I'll be right back ...
      ... Okay, I'm back. And before long I'll have to shut the door. Afterall it's -22°C outside. A house can get mighty stuffy feeling when you can't air it out for six months at a time! There are such major fluxes in the temperature here. For example it will probably drop down to -36°C tonight. It probably all sounds cold and it is but the difference is considerable and let me tell you, I'd rather stand outside in -22°C weather waiting for the bus than -36°C. It's all a matter of what you get used to. I've lived at 8° Latitude and at 62° Latitude and I've realized a person can adapt to a mighty range in climate whether they want to or not. It just happens.
      °°°°
      (I just thought I wasn't using enough ° signs in this post.)
      Well there you have it. An exciting exposé on weather and time. Sorry guys. I guess that's all I've got in me right now.
*

7 Comments:

Blogger Talena said...

I was just marveling at the extreme lateness of light here-abouts, myself. (It's about the same as you right now, I think.)

Thine hubby shouldst be among our clan by early evening next. So sad you won't be here, too. However, I am sending you a surprise with him (if he hasn't already told you about it.)

Jason is busily finishing the painting on the trim in our guest room--a remodeling project which I started just after New Year's (!) and has been remaining stagnant for quite some time. The majority was finished, but it seemed so many other more urgent, time-sensitive things came up that it got put on hold. Well, nothing like the prospect of an actual guest to make finishing the guest-room "time-sensitive."

And here I am, blogging, while he's painting. Tee hee!

Luv ya. Have a great night! (E-mail?! Pfffft!)

18 March 2007 at 21:43  
Blogger Kori's House said...

The thought of daylight longer sounds devine... -36* does not!

I would however take your snow over our rain ANY day!

So what does a person like myself who struggles with insomnia do when it is light out 24/7?

18 March 2007 at 23:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I actually drove home from work in the light today. It feels so good after the dark of December. I can only imagine how much more extreme it is in the NWT.

Love you

19 March 2007 at 20:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what language is this "etwas frische Luft"? I'm new here. Anyway, I enjoyed this post because weather interests me, and also how other people live interests me as well.

Denise
.

19 March 2007 at 21:57  
Blogger Colleen said...

Talena - I'm sad, too. I wish I could've come with him but alas it was not to be. And I could've checked out that freshly painted trim and admired it accordingly. E-mail shme-mail. xo.

Hi Kori - I am SUCH a rain girl so I'm thinking we should work out some sort of arrangement whereby I would trade in some of my sunshine for a wee bit o' your rain. In the summer we black out the window in our room quite effectively. It feels strange to stumble out of our dark room into the blinding light of day. Plus, sometimes I wear those eye thingies that block out the light - I forget what they're called.

Cheryl - It does feel good, don't it? It's not extreme here yet. The sun sets around the same time as you guys right now. Love you, too. ♡

Denise - It's German but I had to look it up. It means "a breath of fresh air". I took German in Gr. 8 a million years ago but I remember very little. I'm glad the weather talk was interesting for you. It's such a big part of our lives up here as it directly affects pretty much every single thing we do!

19 March 2007 at 23:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard time imagining it never getting dark. Must be truly wacky!

20 March 2007 at 08:24  
Blogger Colleen said...

Felicia - it is kinda, yah. I'm sorta getting used to it though, oddly enough. :)

20 March 2007 at 21:53  

any questions?

<< Home