The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Buttercream Frosting Infused with Butter, Cream, Sugar and Vanilla in a Frosting

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Buttercream Frosting Infused with Butter, Cream, Sugar and Vanilla in a Frosting

      So St. Patrick's Day is coming up and every year I want to do something for it, minus the green beer, and every year I do nothing. I've decided what I will do. You gotta know that merely having decided is a major event for me worthy of your adoration ... or something. I'm going to make (drum roll, trumpet sound, wild applause) shamrock sugar cookies with buttercream frosting (green of course).
      Which leads me to mention a pet peeve of sorts and that is this: Recipes That are Named Every Ingredient Within Them.

Appetizer
Fettuccine and Shiitake Mushrooms in a Basil Garlic Cream Bisque Flavoured with Madeira

Salad
Chiffonade of Boston Lettuce with Belgium Endives and Hearts of Palm and Arugula Balsamic Vinaigrette à la Pain de Seigle of Ptarmigan

Main Course
Baked Salmon Roulade on a Potato Galette with Tomato Beurre Blanc Sauce and a Flutter of Lychee Dill Hyssop

Dessert
Nougat Mousse with Black Currant Froth and Verbena Jelly Married with a Lemongrass Marinade-Soaked Sock

      I'm thinking of devising an international system that one would name and recognise recipes by. No I'm not. I've really only gotten as far as renaming the above recipes:

Charlie
Ophelia
Baxter II

and for dessert:
Tim

      I know I'm being ridiculous. And I know it would take time for it to standardise so that we'd all be on the same page. But as it is, even with Recipes That are Named Every Ingredient Within Them, we don't really know what they're going to taste like just because we know what it's made up of. Usually I'll think, "hmmm, that looks interesting" which is just another way of saying "if I put all those things together it would be disgusting but because you are a chef I'll try it, what the heck."
      I think what I'm wanting to say is that it all comes down to a matter of trust. Someone else is making me food and I'm going to Eat It and Pay For It with a Side of Trout-Infused Guava Sorbet. So why not just call it Bob? Ask if Bob is Soused in Peanuts if you must. It will save time, ink and the frustration of not knowing what a galette is and if one is worth $18. (I can't even imagine a galette. Not accurately anyhoo.)
      You'll be just as delighted and surprised when it arrives.
*

13 Comments:

Blogger villagegirl said...

LOL! You are too hilarious. Totally enjoyed this post. I completely agree. When you come up with a system let me know. :)

14 March 2007 at 17:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me laugh. Could you possibly blog more frequently? I'd enjoy that. ;-)
I really like your header...the drawing and the title and the subtitle or whatever it's called. Just thought I'd share that, since I enjoy receiving compliments. I figure you do, too!
God bless!
Denise

14 March 2007 at 20:10  
Blogger Monika said...

That is funny, you are hilarious!!
Were you by chance at L'Heritage lately? That sounds like something off their menu!:)

14 March 2007 at 20:17  
Blogger Talena said...

Hilarious, and true. I think from now on when Jude asks me what we're having for breakfast/lunch/dinner, I will come out with random names such as this: "Fred." I can't wait to see the blank look on his face!

14 March 2007 at 20:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You slay me with your wit!

I can't believe that it never occured to me to make sugar cookies for St. Paddy's Day. I'm seriously considering running into town tomorrow to pick up an appropriate cookie cutter. Thanks for the idea.

As for the galette...I made one once. So yummy and so easy.

14 March 2007 at 20:36  
Blogger Rachel said...

Colleen...I made all those things for dinner last night. How did you know?

14 March 2007 at 21:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Irish and green and lives outside all winter?

Patio Furniture :)

15 March 2007 at 08:12  
Blogger cayman77 said...

Green Jello- have some with your cookies- and dont dare read the ingredients!

15 March 2007 at 09:38  
Blogger Colleen said...

Jillian - I will tell you! I will tell the world.

Denise - Believe it or not my goal is to write everyday but it's a rather inactive goal at this time. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!

Moni - It does sound rather L'Heritage, doesn't it? We took my mom there about 3 weeks ago when she came to visit.

Talena - hee hee! If you say you're having Fred it will sound like company's coming. I can just see Jude's sweet and bewildered face.

Sonya - so yummy and so easy, eh? Nothing like fresh galette, I always say! But what does it look like? I imagine it looks like frosting through a pastry bag in a little pile only it's potatoes instead. Yes, indeed.
I've never made sugar cookies before. By and large I've stayed away from the rolled cookie thing so I'm taking the plunge. Plunge with me! (That sounds ... wrong, doesn't it.)

Rachel - I spy on you. There. I've said it. I'm interested in knowing how the Lemongrass Sock turned out!

Felicia - ha ha! Hello and welcome! Your joke reminds me that I need glasses because (stay with me) I was with my friend looking out over the lake and I said "Oh look! Ducks!" She laughed, handed me her glasses and said, "I think you might wanna take a closer look." Donned the glasses and my ducks miraculously turned into patio chairs sitting at the end of a dock. Egads! Come again soon. :)

Sug! Hello JELLO. I like squirting it through my teeth like this ... sshlurshhh. :)

15 March 2007 at 16:23  
Blogger cayman77 said...

That is so funny! I used to drive my Mom Mad doing that! I love it!

15 March 2007 at 23:13  
Blogger Kori's House said...

After reading your post I am reminded of when my daughter was 2 or 3 and she wouldn't finish her meal. I would threaten her that we were having Creme Brulee with Quiche on top!! She had no idea what those words were and it would send her crying to her bedroom every time :)
So mean I know :)

16 March 2007 at 12:19  
Blogger Colleen said...

Bets - haha! the things we did to drive our mommy's crazy ... :D

Kori - oh that's hilarious! That gives me the giggles ... we must share that mean streak because I can't stop laughing even as I type!

16 March 2007 at 15:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little bit of Tim sounds really good about now. :::laughing::: Ophelia is a little too sauced.

17 March 2007 at 12:08  

any questions?

<< Home