The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Sugar Shackin'

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sugar Shackin'

Wendy and I decided to take in a little more of the Caribou Carnival today for we yearned to experience more of its delights and distractions - more specifically, we were going to The Sugar Shack. The Sugar Shack is a magical place in which, through the combined marvels of fire and snow, one can enjoy the sheer slurpy pleasure of frosty maple syrup on a stick.

1. First you must purchase a flat wooden green "alright kid, say ahhhh" stick for $3 that you may, nay MUST, use as many times as humanly possible in roughly an 8-hour period.
2. You will now wait as fresh snow is scooped up and lovingly patted and smoothed into a trough in front of you.
3. Meanwhile hot maple syrup is being heated over a Coleman stove until it reaches the secret temperature of perfection.
4. A girl in a toque will now ladle a portion of this perfection into a sweet little strip of happiness onto the fresh and lovingly patted and smoothed snow in front of you.
5. Don't get anxious! You must wait for ten seconds so that the maple and snow can exchange phone numbers.
6. Then place the flat wooden green "alright kid, say ahhhh" stick at one end of the sweet little strip of happiness.
7. You will want to rush this process out of sheer excitement of what is to come.
8. DON'T.
9. With patience and care roll the flat wooden green "alright kid, say ahhhh" stick slowly up the sweet little strip of happiness. The maple will follow the stick. Take your time. Something good will happen. It is inevitable.
10. Hooray! The time has come. You are the proud owner of a sweet little maple ball of happiness on a stick.
11. Proceed to slurp loudly and then go and drip sugary goodness all over your good black coat why don't you that you knew better than to wear to the carnival in the first place and now you'll have to dry clean it - or - just slurp loudly. That'll do, too.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea is was such an art!

26 March 2007 at 04:55  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Sounds quite complicated, an artform of such! Very fun indeed! You must feel like a kid eating it! I love the animated picture of you guys eating your sugary goodness! :) Happiness abounds!

26 March 2007 at 08:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so Little House On The Prairie-ish. I love it!!

Great gif animation! :)

26 March 2007 at 08:10  
Blogger Kori's House said...

"ahhhh" I want some :)

Great detailed post! with all the snow we had this year we could have been at the street corner selling this yummy 'art on a stick'!

26 March 2007 at 15:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! :::smiling::: I love how you word your experiences.

26 March 2007 at 21:24  
Blogger Talena said...

I love the full-colour photo demonstration of your colourfully-worded instructions. Especially the demo at the end! U R the BEST!

26 March 2007 at 23:03  
Blogger Ace said...

Ooooh, I WANT!

This was quite funny, and the photos? HILARIOUS!

27 March 2007 at 00:40  
Blogger Ace said...

And yes indeedy. My mum did pass that gene on to me. Her work is beautiful , especially since she did a 6 month art course last year.

Check This out

27 March 2007 at 00:44  
Blogger Rachel said...

Look at you two pretty girls enjoying your treat! I love it!

27 March 2007 at 08:53  
Blogger Colleen said...

Felicia - yes, it's all in the wrist ....

Shari - I had no idea I was making it sound so complicated! Really all you do is roll the stick up the maple after waiting ten seconds. I guess I did turn it into 11 STEPS for crying out loud! Yes, we were very much abounding in happiness. So much fun! :D

Sonya - I liked your comment. It actually made me (continue to) wish I had a true northern coat - they are totally Little House on the Prairie-ish. I used to laugh at them when I first moved here but now I love them.

Kori - you would LOVE it. It's one of those things that fills your heart with joy. I wish I did more things that embraced the elements around me instead of wishing for a better day. It's so good for my soul when I do!

Ruthie - oh shmeeblewhip, my dear beakniblet! You encourage me so very well.

Talena - Thanks, my twirly-springy-honey-giving friend! Wendy took the demo photos for me as I was too busy complaining about how big my mitts were, etc. to take them! It was fun to do the GIF. I didn't know that I'd taken two pictures in the exact same spot until later so it worked out perfectly.

Aakanksha - my IndieAussie bud across the globe! Glad to hear I could contribute to tickling your funny bone. :D The flowers are beautiful! I love daffodils. Now did your mom paint that or did you?

Rachel - red nose and all? I swear it takes about a minute in subzero and I look like I've been drinking the night away. Oh. Hmmm. How about, thank you, Rachel. :) If you ever find yourself in the North in late March we shall go Sugar Shackin' together. Count on it.

27 March 2007 at 10:34  
Blogger polarpegs said...

Ok so what is the red blurb behind your head.

27 March 2007 at 11:20  
Blogger Colleen said...

It's a girl in a snowsuit. I erased it and then thought what the heck, I'll leave her in. But I keep thinking that I might change it still. :/

27 March 2007 at 11:22  
Blogger villagegirl said...

i've ALWAYS wanted to try that! So very Little House on the Prairie - Love it!
Glad you enjoyed your mapley treat. Yum!

27 March 2007 at 21:39  
Blogger Colleen said...

Jillian - I know you would love it. ♡ It feels so "of the land" or something.

28 March 2007 at 19:34  
Blogger The Lang 6 said...

More fun-with-snow!! First the lanterns, now the Lickumstick! Snow CAN be fun!!! Don't think it would work in the rain, can't get the trough to work...

28 March 2007 at 23:32  
Blogger Ace said...

I did :)

Here's the post

And here's another

and a sketch

29 March 2007 at 04:28  
Blogger Colleen said...

Lang! When lacking for snow I find simply glugging straight from a maple syrup bottle to be the next best thing.

Akkie! - So awesome! You are one talented, chickie. True!

30 March 2007 at 22:05  
Blogger emilyruth said...

oh my goodness!
how fun does that look?

& your picture is a technological marvel!

:)

4 April 2007 at 19:42  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Emily Ruth! I missed seeing you here. :( T'was fun in the sun á la the wonders of technology!

10 April 2007 at 11:29  

any questions?

<< Home