The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: good night

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, March 23, 2007

good night

      Tonight I went to the Caribou Carnival fireworks with my friend Wendy. It was marvelous. It began with the annual barbecue - FREE (I love free, darn it) - that the MLAs put on. There's something really cool about being out on a frosty frozen lake and the Premier of the Northwest Territories handing you a hot dog whilst directing you towards the ketchup and mustard. These are the things that make me love this place in between the days there isn't so much love. I had three hot dogs. I started off with one and then doubled up on my second bun. Oh yeah. I wish I could have captured on camera the hot steam that burst out of each weinery bite in the not-so-cold-for-up-here air. Have you ever tried holding a hot dog with mittens the size of boxing gloves? There were kids everywhere - on sleds and in bundles, scarved and toqued. I think one of my favourite things in this world is seeing a child in a snowsuit. They look like starfish on legs with nubs in all directions. It makes my heart happy. After we downed our dogs Wendy got some hot chocolate and I gripped a thermos of hot vanilla tea - one in each hand. We slushed and fudged our way through the thawing snow and found the perfect spot to view the coming explosions. I love fireworks. I oohed and wowed in all the right places, stamping my feet like a crazy foot-stamping girl and praying I wouldn't have to thaw my feet out afterward because that SUCKS. Afterwards we offered a ride home to an mack jacketed old man. He had a leathery gentle face and was in a state of some inebriation. We helped his hobbling self into Wendy's beast of a truck and took him home. And then Wendy took me home. And now I am here. And I had a good day.
*

12 Comments:

Blogger Kori's House said...

What a great day!!
A nice steaming hot dog and snow, what a great combo!

23 March 2007 at 22:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a fun time! Even if it was chilly.

3 hotdogs though. As a person who participates in a weekly hotdog lunch, the thought of eating 3 of them kind of grossed me out. ;)

24 March 2007 at 14:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. ;)

24 March 2007 at 14:29  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hot dogs have their time and place. And that sounded like an excellent time & place!

24 March 2007 at 16:03  
Blogger Kandace said...

We watched from the kitchen window. Next year I'll come with and stuff my face!

24 March 2007 at 17:48  
Blogger villagegirl said...

That sounds like a lovely day! I love the starfish analogy. Too cute. :)
Glad you had a nice time.

24 March 2007 at 21:46  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Fun day sounds like!! I can picture you out there with your mittens trying to eat those hotdogs! Did you try shaking the MLA's hand too with them on? Did he kiss any babies? :o)

25 March 2007 at 07:58  
Blogger Colleen said...

Kori - it was a great combo! The steam was unbelievable. It was thicker than breath in frost. I truly wish I'd brought my camera.

Sonya - I pushed you over the edge, did I? Hotdogs cooked outside, all blackened and fresh-aired. I'm tellin' ya - three of them were beckoning me. :)

Felicia - a good time WAS! An evening that was good for the heart, except for the hotdogs and my actual beating heart - I think that probably wasn't so good for it. :/

Rachel - it was perfect and unexpected. I love the great moments that you just stumble over.

Kandace - Yes! Stuff your face with me! And Grayson should be able to down a dog in a year, don't ya think?

Jillian - there was this little girl about two years old who went to our church a couple of years ago and I just about had a heart attack everytime I saw her in her red snowsuit, SO cute was she! She looked like she could have washed up on a beach somewhere in the sand. LOVE LOVED it. :D

Shari - ha ha! The mittens I have are HEMO. They keep my hands so warm but they are bulldogs, let me tell you. Sometimes when I wear them I pretend I'm prepping for a boxing fight. I had to take one glove off with my teeth, eat my hot dog till my hand started to freeze and then switch gloves so my frozen hand could warm up whilst the other one would freeze. It was technically difficult but I strove on. (Is "strove" a word?)
And no baby-kissing that I was aware of. :D

25 March 2007 at 08:25  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

And what toppings did you have on your three dogs? I really like to know that kind of thing. I am having a hard time getting the whole picture until I know exactly what was dripping off the dogs and onto your boxing mitts!

25 March 2007 at 15:24  
Blogger Colleen said...

Ha ha! Ketchup and mustard. 'Twas all that was available. Red and yellow primary colours on my hot dogs. You may be surprised to know that there was little drippage - the cold weather took care of that. But my boxing mitts were condimented because they were so big and awkward about the dog. Better picture now?

25 March 2007 at 20:06  
Blogger Talena said...

Colleen, I really must meet this Wendy-friend of yours. You have so many good things to say about her, and so many fun things to do with her. Next time we're up, 'kay? (Because, by the grace of God, we WILL, once again, journey northward someday!)

26 March 2007 at 23:05  
Blogger Colleen said...

Talena - she really has been a God-send to me here. She's quiet and silly and has a huge heart. When you come we will hang. :)

27 March 2007 at 10:37  

any questions?

<< Home