The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: turf wars

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, April 01, 2007

turf wars

      It's gusty out today and what I mean is BLASTy. I walked into the grocery store this afternoon and practically ran out, thanks to my buddy Wind. It seems April has come in like a lion as well. How to embrace this breezeful day?
      I don't know.
      Let me think.
      I'm inside and I'm warm. It's nice.
      Oh! I will make some tea.
      Okay, that's one embrace. Now how about a second loving squeeze to the wind?
      What shall I do ... what shall I do ....
      I'm coming up dry here folks. All I have so far is tea. You see, Wind and I have never really seen eye to eye. That's mostly because he's whipping around so much it's hard to keep a steady gaze. And when he does settle down for a bit I glare at him and call him a jerk. So that doesn't help. Our rapport, I mean.
      Maybe it's one of those relationships in which you say "Wind! You just go about doing your thing, chucking and tossing loose bits of anything about and everywhere. If you don't mind I'm just going to tuck into my castle, light a fire in the hearth turn up the furnace and do my thing. I might chuck and toss too (ha ha), if I feel like it but that will be up to me. You do your thing. I'll do mine."
      We have agreed to disagree.
      Oh this is all fine and good until I have to step outside to do anything. I have now hopped Wind's fence and he can sic his dog on me if he wants to. Which, if I think about it, makes sense. Wind doesn't hang out at my place screaming through neat stacks of paper and thrashing through my fridge in search of cheese. It's I who swears and mutters into his yard.
      It's very much about boundaries with this guy. And I don't see it changing.
*

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been very blasty here too. Ice storm. 'Wind' with a capital 'W' always makes me think of the Holy Spirit.

Love you

2 April 2007 at 00:06  
Blogger The Lang 6 said...

I like wind...sorry. It clears the smog out of our city, Oh, and a warm tropical wind...hmmmm gotta love it!!
Dan

3 April 2007 at 10:58  
Blogger villagegirl said...

Icy cold wind is not my friend. Balmy breeze I'm much more comfortable with. I feel your battle. :)

3 April 2007 at 11:36  
Blogger Colleen said...

Cheryl - that's interesting. It made me re-read my own post in a different light.

Lang One and Jillian - Hands down, I agree. Warm balmy wind, yes. Wind to clear the smog? Oui oui! But when it's -20°C and you have gust of winds of up to 50 km ... it somehow feels cruel at that level.

3 April 2007 at 11:52  
Blogger Talena said...

Never thought of wind as a Personage. Except once, as a kid, when I read the fable about how the wind and the sun had a competition to see who could get the man's coat off first. The sun won, because he shone so warmly the man took the coat off all by himself. The wind, who had been boasting of his strength, was disgruntled that all his blasting had only made the man clutch his coat more tightly around him.

I also dislike wind. Especially when trying to load/move/walk three little boys into/out of/through the van/store/street. Blech.

4 April 2007 at 22:15  
Blogger Talena said...

And I'm curious what you did to make your bangs cowlick-resistant!...

4 April 2007 at 22:16  
Blogger Ace said...

You can always try making paper planes or rather...fighter jets.

¬Ace =)

9 April 2007 at 02:05  
Blogger Colleen said...

Talena - I've always liked that story. That's all I have to say about that. (Forrest Gump) :D

Ace - Fighter jets indeed! Too bad I couldn't transmogrify myself into a bird and then I would acrobat with Wind and make beak faces at him.

9 April 2007 at 10:37  
Blogger The Lang 6 said...

I'm sorry I don't know your pain on that kind of wind. I have NEVER been in -20 in my WHOLE life...it was +26 in my yard yesterday, no wind...I agree it MUST be cruel, but I hafta take your word for it! My bro lives in the Yukon, one day I will visit in the winter, and learn of this aforementioned cruelness!
-Dan

9 April 2007 at 22:52  
Blogger Colleen said...

What an incredible day! How AWESOME to have never faced the ardours of severe cold. I never thought I'd adjust to the cold but I have ... weird. Wind just strips all my defenses against it though and I feel accosted and threatened. Yes, I take it personally. I plan to visit the Yukon someday as I've heard it's beautiful - not so barren as the NT.

10 April 2007 at 10:22  
Blogger The Lang 6 said...

It was VERY beautiful, my wife and I were able to go horseback riding in the high country for an afternoon, amazing fall colors and warmer than we expected! We saw a lot of wildlife, especially hanging in the back of hunters trucks...eewwwww! How come I can't comment on your easter splotches?
-Dan

10 April 2007 at 22:43  
Blogger Colleen said...

What an amazing afternoon! Good on you for taking advantage of it. And really? Fall colours?

Re: the comments ... I'm not sure what's going on! Someone else just e-mailed me and said the same thing ... okay, I'm back (I left without saying so - how rude!). Comments should be fixed now. It seems Blogger decided to disable my comments without asking me first. Poo.

11 April 2007 at 08:15  
Blogger Ace said...

Haha, you are insane.

Transmogrify.

Supercalifragiexpialidocious.

12 April 2007 at 08:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colleen,

I have been introduced to your blog whilst you are away on holidays and I can't find your email address so I shall write here.

I LOVE it! You write out everything that goes through my head but I never say it out loud! Why? Military bred fear that people would truly think I was a freak. Freaks don't prosper well in the military! We must have another coffee date and talk more and more! So much to comment on and talk about, so little time. Do call!

15 May 2007 at 10:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not skipping work, I am at home sick today. Levi gave me a cold for Mother's Day! He also gave me a beautiful plaster butterfly that he painted himself at the dayhome. As Em would say, it warmed the cockles of my heart! Later gator!

15 May 2007 at 10:03  

any questions?

<< Home