The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: this that

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, September 09, 2007

this that

          Hey there. I'm just chilling out with Mark this afternoon. The sky is grey, we're watching Serenity for the umpteenth time (this time with Joss Wheedon's commentary) and I'm picking away at smoked salmon. Every year Mark heads out with the boys for an Alaskan fishing trip and I am the lucky recipient of a freezer full of beautiful ocean salmon and halibut. I'm afraid of cooking it. I feel like it's this amazing gift yet every time I huck a fish in a pan or the oven I feel trembly, apprehensive, nervous, worried. I don't know what to do. For one I've never been a salmon fan but ... every once in awhile I'll have a munch of one someone else has made and it's perfectly moist and sweet and not too omega three-y tasting and it makes me want to keep trying. Besides it's good for you and if something tasty can be combined with something good fer ya then yay! But smoked salmon is not something I have trouble eating thus the present picking. What else? I might read, maybe a bike ride, oh! and eat. I'm hungry. Again.
*

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...smoked salmon.

9 September 2007 at 19:20  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

Yum!
You should try Kori's recipe for salmon. It's super yummy!

9 September 2007 at 19:22  
Blogger Suzie said...

smoked salmon and eggs please!

i love salmon...i just got 3 lbs from my neighbor who owns a fish farm in Chile.

10 September 2007 at 09:09  
Blogger Ace said...

"Chilling out with Mark"
*sigh* Sounds so lovely... ;)

I love the umbrella photo below. What do I like best about it? Your red flames flying all over the place!

Do you chat on google talk?

A x

11 September 2007 at 08:54  
Blogger Colleen said...

Sonya - mmmMMMMMmmm. yes indeedy. :)

Keri - I would love to know it and to taste it. :P

Suzie - really? smoked salmon and egss? is cream cheese involved? It doesn't sound good but sound isn't everything and I would love to try it. How do you make it? I would also love to make friends with your neighbour!

Hey there Ace! Are you missing your Mark? I understand. I did the whole long distance thing. Poo, I say. I would love to say that that photo is of my crazy red hair but alas, and I mean ALAS, it is not. It is some funky chick who is not I. But it's still a great photo, no? And nay, I'm not hooked up with Google Talk or Messenger.

11 September 2007 at 22:27  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i have never once cooked fish for my husband, who, by the way, loves fish...i am too scared...i even bought it once & then it sat in the freezer for about a year...so i applaud you, miss fish cooker...go you:)

12 September 2007 at 15:09  
Blogger Colleen said...

thanks, e.r., but don't applaud too soon! i, too, have beautiful heaps of fish in the freezer caught by my man that has been there a year because i'm frightened. and the worst part is he's about to go on his fishing trip again and so i'll have compounding fishies in my freezer. COMPOUNDING! what to do?!? save me!!!!

12 September 2007 at 19:32  
Blogger Kori's House said...

you will have to go back on my blog...sorry, not sure when I posted it?!? I know it was a Tuesday :)
I have only made it with boneless/skinless salmon but I am sure you can do the same with all types.
My neighbor gave me a salmon the other day so I will give my honey garlic salmon a try with it and see how it turns out... maybe even blog it again :)

13 September 2007 at 00:05  
Blogger Colleen said...

Yum, Kori! I generally like a honey garlic anything so I will check it out. Gotta love neighbours like that. :D

16 September 2007 at 00:35  

any questions?

<< Home