The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: first draft

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, November 18, 2007

first draft

It was so nice the other day to stumble about in the snow. The brief sunshine lit up my insides and did its work. Jolly drunk was I, pitching about, surprised by how deep it all was. The rock buried beneath was slippery and the wrong step produced happy havoc and snow up to my kneecaps. It wasn't very cold so I hadn't dressed for it. Just sneakers and cotton pants soaked through.

The snow here is sneaky. It falls as a fine powder - very light, very dry - for several days. As cars and humans pack and flatten it one is led to believe there is very little snow. You would be in error. I mean I was. I went behind our house to explore and was shocked to discover my very own limbs plunged up to the patellas in the stuff.
buried

Nature made a snowman.
nature made a snowman



I have this warring dilemma within me when I see snow. One part of me is in awe of the unmarred blanket of white, wanting to let it remain untouched, unblemished, a lot of un's, forever and ever amen, in perfect order unhuman-ed. The other part wants to run amok, jump on the bed and throw the covers everywhere whilst waving my arms in the air and yelling unintelligibles. The problem with this is that I inevitably end up doing both which is immediately followed by complete personal conundrumery. I survey the damage and promptly wish for a new blanket, a shake of the Etch a Sketch.

Fortunately there is no end of fresh sheets of unlined paper here. Tomorrow or the day after, next week, it begins all over again.
*

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to see snow disturbed by footprints. But once it HAS been disturbed (by someone else), the crazy child inside me takes over and simply must run wild, doing as much damage as possible.

18 November 2007 at 15:21  
Blogger Mindy said...

When it's falling and when it's deep, I love to fall backwards into it without reserve or hesitation...and then just lay there as still and as quiet as possible and listen for as long as I can stand it...especially at night when the stars are out.

18 November 2007 at 16:07  
Blogger The Lang 6 said...

Love your pictues, your view of life :)

18 November 2007 at 17:35  
Blogger Laurie said...

I love these photos. It is so true and so amazing for being up here.

18 November 2007 at 18:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, I am not sure how long you can go with the snow theme. I'm totally kidding, it's gorgeous and wonderful to see it. I think your post titles are appropriately named too. Like the other day: "snow" was a good post title. I would love to see some pics of you too, rosy cheeked and healthy out there in the cold air. Can I commission a snowman? Except could you make a snowcat?
I loved Sonya's comment about the child in her having to destroy everything, I feel that way too.
xxxxxx

18 November 2007 at 21:40  
Blogger Talena said...

...and again, and again, and again...

19 November 2007 at 00:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have the same dilemma, whether to keep it neat or to mess it up but when you do mess with it, at least you don't have tidy it.

19 November 2007 at 09:47  
Blogger emilyruth said...

so wonderful...i want to give you a very heartfelt thank you for sharing the snow with us! i love seeing it so much!...you are too sweet:)

20 November 2007 at 09:40  

any questions?

<< Home