The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: tea shirk

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

tea shirk

I'm not sure how it all began but roughly two days ago someone threw the Tea Switch. On my kitchen counter in the corner there is a wooden box with a hinged lid. It is chock full of tea. Fruit teas, jasmine, peppermint, green, loose leaf, tea bags, etc. The box exists for others. I ignore the box by and large and don't dip into it often. But the other day I felt chilly, didn't want a second cup of coffee, tried some black tea and haven't looked back. Tea Switch. Black tea mit a dab of cream und honey. I haven't stopped drinking it since except for when I'm asleep or sipping my morning ink. Green tea, blah. Fruit tea isn't tea. Peppermint? Only if it's Stash's. And I don't have Stash's.

Anyways, I was doing errands today when I looked out my window and saw this (screen included free of charge):


snow tree through screen
You might not be able to tell but there in the upper left hand corner is a wee dollop of buttery sun. SUN! That's it. Errands can wait. As the winter days shorten sharply it is a wise and good idea to run outside if you notice the clouds piece apart if even for a minute, inhale the blue sky, blink happily in the light, bring your camera. And I followed this advice to a tea (as it were) except I wish I blinked more now that I think of it.

Do you feel queasy? YOU SHOULD. You are looking straight down through the snowy slats of my deck to your death FIFTEEN FEET BELOW. Okay. Not scary, I know.

deck slats


♫ Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun
Hiding behind a tree. ♫
sky
Maybe tomorrow I'll show you the snow sparkles.
*



7 Comments:

Blogger Talena said...

I love your snow pictures.

This made me smile. Repeatedly.

I'm not avoiding errands--I'm avoiding bedtime by smiling like a love-struck teenager at your wonderful words and photographs.

Thanks, you.

14 November 2007 at 23:49  
Blogger Talena said...

Also:

LONG LIVE TEA!

14 November 2007 at 23:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a tea drinker. At all. But I wish that I was and you know why? It's because I love the names of teas. And I would buy tea just because of the interesting name. But there would be no point since I don't drink tea. Ok, enough babbling about tea.

I wholeheartedly agree that when the sun peeks out, even if it's just for a second, you should run out and enjoy it no matter what.

15 November 2007 at 12:04  
Blogger emilyruth said...

so great!...i love snow...we get it about one or two days every year & i love those days...also i love life & blogs & how sometimes thing intersect because when i read about your tea love i recalled how yesterday when i took Q to the doctor to have it confirmed that he has pink eye the nurse said that to make it less itchy i could soak some tea bags & put them over his eye...ummm right...a three & half year old boy who has already broken both arms will definatly be sitting still with tea bags on his eyes..thanks, nurse clueless thank you very much...:)

15 November 2007 at 15:10  
Blogger Mindy said...

Love YOU. :)

15 November 2007 at 22:00  
Blogger Kori's House said...

You've sold me! I must give black tree a try!

Thanks for the snow pictures, I love em! Makes me think that it seems like just yesterday we were looking at your snow and ours... man that went fast :)

15 November 2007 at 22:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from Early Grey (which can get a bit boring, as I drink it day in and day out), I love Lapsang Souchong. I love saying it (Lapsang Souchong!) and I love drinking it. Some people say it smells of bacon, some of smoke. Some have even said it smells of fish. One friend used to call it "Lapdog" and that's how it has stuck in our family. Anyway, if you can get hold of some loose Lapsang tealeaves, try them. In boiled water of course.

Orwell wote an entire essay on drinking tea, I'll try to dig it up.

I love the snow photos, thank you. Everything seems to clean and pure where you are. Everything is dusty and dirty here. It's cold but winter proper has not made an appearance yet.

Thinking of you.
x

17 November 2007 at 21:45  

any questions?

<< Home