The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: wee Christmas même

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

wee Christmas même

I am just getting to know Nan and her Letters from a Hill Farm (which is a wonderful heart-warming name for a blog) and she tagged me, along with a small gaggle of others, to participate in a wee Christmas même. Please take the time to visit her if you can. It's a lovely read and these days it's filled with her memories of Christmas traditions and music and books as well as winter photos of snow and long shadows. I have to say that I really have loved the way blogging has intersected my life with so many great people.

Here goes!
What is your most enduring Christmas memory?
Probably being completely entranced by our Christmas tree. I remember sitting for long periods, just gazing all dreamy-like at the lights and the beauty of the tree.

Do you have a favourite piece of Christmas music?
The Huron Carol

Do you stick to the old family traditions?
Not so much right now but I long to create some of my own. Mark and I have been married for seven years and because we live so far from our family and close friends we have experienced many Christmases on our own. It's been hard for me to find traditions that 'fit' just the two of us. Right now it feels new as I keep waiting (albeit impatiently) for our 'Christmas shoes' to break in. But I do love me a good tradition.

What makes your mouth water at Christmas time?
My mom makes carrot cookies. I don't know a single other person who makes them like her or has even heard of them but they are easily my favourite.

How soon do you put the Christmas tree up and when do you take it down?
I generally put it up the first week of December and take it down January 2nd.


A Snowman's Funeral
snowmanburial


*If you know who cartooned this drawing please let me know so I can give them due credit.*
*

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great meme! I always love to learn new things about people. And the cartoon? Totally cracked me up!!!

5 December 2007 at 15:56  
Blogger Tarasview said...

I loved this :)

and I tagged you today on my blog.

5 December 2007 at 16:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this and the cartoon too. Now I know I can tag you.

6 December 2007 at 03:35  
Blogger Nan said...

Thanks for saying such nice things about my blog. And thanks for doing the meme. It's funny how an activity becomes a tradition. Sometimes you just put up a certain kind of light or ornament or decoration and then you do it again, and then you think, well that was nice the past couple years, and there it is, a tradition. Are there foods you make especially this time of year? And I remember the wonder when the tree was first lit and in fact still feel it. I think it comes from using those big lights. :<) How much snow do you have today?

6 December 2007 at 12:37  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi girls! A special hello to madrekarin. It's nice to meet you! I have to say that your carrot cookies sound very delicious. I love (thus far in my life anyway) all things cream cheese! However it is still a different recipe from my sweet Mama's. Her recipe wraps a carrot dough around tart plum jam and is simply iced afterward .... ack! I just kinda zoned out there thinking about them! :) I'm glad you like it here and I'm glad you said hello. I'm always amazed how much a little word encourages me.

Nan? LOTS. LOTS of snow. There are heaps and piles and it's beautiful and very cold. I'd get out there and take photos but my hands get SO cold and I wimp out. (We're talking -20°C to -30°C!)
And I started a little book last year of things I could consider including and trying as our very own Christmas traditions. But that means I actually have to do them. I'm a turtle in many ways. It takes a long time for me to get going but I do get there eventually! :)

6 December 2007 at 13:39  
Blogger villagegirl said...

Carrot cookies? ARe they like carrot cake? They sound quite tasty really.
It is hard to make your own traditions. We are still working on ours and we have family nearby and have been married 10 years! It comes eventually I think. :)

8 December 2007 at 22:46  

any questions?

<< Home