The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: sleighbells rang

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

sleighbells rang

Keri tagged me to tell you seven random things about myself so I thought I'd tell you seven things about my Christmas sleigh ride.

1. It was a mild, glorious blue sky day and nobody anywhere could've rustled us up a better hour to sit, legs dangling, thinking of Christmas.

See? She doesn't know it yet but she's a Dangler. Pretty soon she'll realise that the best view is 180° from present and she'll be kicking at the straw thinking how great it all is.



2. Sleigh rides are not scary for all the warning signs in the world. Wait! Scratch that. There was a boy who fell off the end of the sleigh and he wailed and cried as the horses trotted slowly away. His poor red face. He really felt like we would leave him behind and you could see his disappointment with himself and the terribleness of it all. Poor thing. We yelled stop! and hold up! to our cowboy and it was halt! to the horses. He clamored up onto the straw bales, tears snuffled up and swatted away, stewing in the lingering humiliation of it all. Do you remember being that age?


3. These were our tour guides.



4. Did I mention we were shadows? I'm the second one from the right and Mark is the handsome silhouette beside me on the end. I think he came along just for me but he's not saying.


5. The family dog, who is not a shadow, followed behind us the entire way. Here he can be found chasing his nose through crusty snow. To infinity and beyond!


6. Our Canadian cowboy was quiet and congenial. Spoke when spoken to and halted horses for impromptu sleigh tumbles.


7. My heart filled up with the stillness of friendly frost and winter sunshine. How could it not?


*

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures make me wish I could have been there.

9 January 2008 at 20:38  
Blogger Monika said...

That looks like it would have been fun! I haven't been on a sleigh ride in years. You captured it beautifully with your camera!

10 January 2008 at 13:42  
Blogger villagegirl said...

SHUT UP! I can't tell you how many years I have LONGED to go on a sleigh ride. A REAL sleigh ride - behind horses, not anything mororized. How gloriously fun!
Sorry, I wasn't really yelling at you. I'm just envious is all. :)

10 January 2008 at 15:06  
Blogger emilyruth said...

so very beautiful!...oh my goodness...that's a memory that's a keeper:)

10 January 2008 at 15:17  
Blogger the Stewarts said...

OH MY! What lovely pics. I am a lurker (I suppose no more) and am loving catching up with you! The horses look like great tour guides and your shadows look ever so content! Cheers, Diane

10 January 2008 at 18:41  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

One more thing to add to my "million things to do before I die" list!
Looks beautiful!

10 January 2008 at 21:09  
Blogger Mindy said...

Wow! How incredibly fun and beautiful!

10 January 2008 at 22:42  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm laughing (somewhat cruelly) to think of that poor little chap falling off the sleigh. Ooops!

Gorgeous photos, as ever.

x

11 January 2008 at 09:23  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

How incredibly fun fun fun!!! Your photos are gorgeous girl! Makes me want to get outside there with you and capture some of the moments.

11 January 2008 at 15:54  
Blogger Talena said...

I went through that entire post thinking you must have done that in Sylvan Lake, then at the last photo realized "That was here!" Looks lovely. And of course, you employed your incredible talent in capturing it all for us to enjoy, also. Thanks for sharing you, you.

So great to see you at New Year's. To 2008 and beyond!

11 January 2008 at 20:20  
Blogger Kori's House said...

Beautiful!!
Was this in BC or the great white north? I guess both can be the same :)

12 January 2008 at 14:27  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Kori - twas in Peace River of Northern Alberta. :)

12 January 2008 at 15:49  

any questions?

<< Home