The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: sprung

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, January 11, 2008

sprung

potting tulips
      I really should have done this some time ago and I would have if I had known it could be done. I'd never heard of forcing bulbs during the winter. We have such long winters and our springs are ... well they're spring in an entirely different sense of the word. The days are sunnier and bluer and the air is crisp like sunshine Popsicles and, yes, it's spring but I can't trick myself into thinking that it's the spring I long for - magnolia blossoms and tulips and limey leaves and all the etcetera, etcetera of that. Spring is my favourite season. I've considered changing my favourite season to, I don't know, something else since I've moved here. However, that grumpy discomfort with things being as they are but not as I wish they were may have all changed. My mom-in-law gave me some tulip bulbs and said what could be and pointed to a book and a magazine with a how-to and I wondered why I had never heard of this before. Tulips to be had! Here! In the Knife! So wish me luck because I'm thrilled spitless. Ten little bulbs in five little pots are hiding in the deep down of my refrigerator and in three months whilst you are whistling at daffodils and green grass in your short-sleeve shirts, mittens long-forgotten in a box marked WINTER and memories of shovelling snow fade away maybe, just maybe, I'll be enjoying a little spring of my own.

potted tulips

9 Comments:

Blogger Talena said...

Oo! Just noticed your new post on my reader! Yay!

What a wonderful idea. If only I wasn't so busy with too much else, I might try the same thing. That's why I let someone else do that work, and just try and remember to buy a few bedding plants in a few months, that can then fry (or, as in last summer's case, be dug and re-dug up by dogs) on my back porch.

I can't wait to see the photos of pots in bloom!

11 January 2008 at 23:24  
Blogger Talena said...

P.S. I've been listening to Imogen Heaps on YouTube and Napster for most of the evening. So cool.

11 January 2008 at 23:26  
Blogger villagegirl said...

How perfect! Yay smart MIL's!

12 January 2008 at 08:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard of this, but don't really know a thing about it. I hope it works out like it's supposed to!

12 January 2008 at 11:01  
Blogger Kori's House said...

In the fridge! Who knew?!?!
Look forward to seein the fruits... I mean flowers, of your labor :)

12 January 2008 at 14:33  
Blogger Unknown said...

..Hmm, I am just concerned you're going to get the munchies late one night; tired and bleary-eyed you will make your way to the fridge and feel around for..oh! Wait,..is that my favourite midnight snack? raw garlic bulbs and peanut butter? Mmmmmmmm, mmm ..this garlic tastes strange...oh nevermind (stomp stomp back to bed). And no more tulips.

I am very excited to know how this goes. Please keep us informed.

x

12 January 2008 at 21:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish the bulbs well. Tulips are just so pretty. I've got 3...wooden ones in the kitchen. May yours bloom!

14 January 2008 at 00:02  
Blogger Mindy said...

If you thought for one second that I wouldn't notice the square mug, you are mistaken! It made me grin like this ------> :), only bigger.

Love you, friend. Can't wait to see the tulips!

15 January 2008 at 14:39  
Blogger emilyruth said...

i really hope that i will have time to do this too...every spring i see beautiful yards full of flowers & think 'shoot!' & then i think 'i am going to get in gear & do that next year' & then guess what? i don't & along comes spring & shoot again...grrrr...you are inspiring my dear:)

15 January 2008 at 15:21  

any questions?

<< Home