The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: exchanging zoos

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, January 14, 2008

exchanging zoos

      When I was in Calgary a few weeks ago I went to the zoo with one of my dearest friends in the whole wide world. Cheryl thought it would be a great idea to go upon which I promptly agreed to its greatness. I'd lived with Cheryl in Calgary for just over a year and had never been to the zoo although I'd heard much about it. Stacey, another one of my dearest friends in the whole wide world (there's a high per capita ratio of dearest friends in the whole wide world within the city limits of Calgary), went often as I recall, as did Cheryl. They spoke of the lovely getaway it was when the city was too much (exchanging zoos) and of the pretty lights in the winter. We had such a nice time. Twas a windy day in the city, when one's jacket doesn't hug as well as wished, when skin feels like snack for the elements. Underneath all the bluster it was a mild, even well-behaved Thursday but we hardly knew it for all the brag and swagger of the wind. But it was the wind that pushed us indoors to instant humid, warm, delicious air. From apes to hidden butterflies, giraffes and hippos, we saw them all. My favourite of all was the owl. We were in a large room, an indoor garden. Signs informed us of owls which could be found anywhere, high or low. We looked everywhere and just as we gave up and headed toward the doors to Elsewhere ta da! at our feet slow eyes gazed up at us above a wise beak. He was already watching us. Not moving. We left, went Elsewhere, came back and he was still sitting here. Just watching.
owl
      Sweet lil' ol' owl. I had to lighten this photo somewhat so you could see him. He very much blended into his terrain.

      After the indoors and the tonic of warm, wet air came the outdoors and the wind and the lights! We wandered about taking photos of twinkling trees until our frozen fingers yelped loud enough for us to put them away into pockets for warm keeping.







6 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

I love your photos! They really are beautiful and brighten my day! Thanks so much

14 January 2008 at 14:02  
Blogger Felicia said...

Aw, that's a sweet little owl. And I love all the lights :)

14 January 2008 at 18:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another delightful post Colleen. I've been to the Calgary Zoo on a couple of occasions and I have to say, it's one of the nicest zoos I've ever had the pleasure of visiting.

15 January 2008 at 09:06  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just know my favourite would have been the owl too! He is such a little sweetheart, look at that face!

Gorgeous pictures, I love the last one, it's stunning.

16 January 2008 at 11:23  
Blogger Colleen said...

Welcome, Rose, welcome! Thank you for your words of encouragement.

And all of you ... you 'biggen' my heart. ♡

16 January 2008 at 20:41  
Blogger Talena said...

So pretty. Reminds me of the Garvan Gardens. Except it was treed enough there that the wind didn't bother us much.

I love the one with the moon the most.

20 January 2008 at 23:54  

any questions?

<< Home