The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: enchanted forest

The Pancake Chronicles

Saturday, February 02, 2008

enchanted forest

      I've been a little bit wimpy these days albeit for sound reasons. It's been too darn cold to take pictures. I am cooped up in the house. Meanwhile there has been a slow and beautiful transformation taking place all around me. Cold fog rises almost constantly from the frozen tundra like Narnian mist. Every window begs me to leave my fortress in the snow. The arctic temperatures penetrate my hands too quickly though, painfully so. I have had to be content with windows which isn't a bad thing but ....
      Enter beautiful Laura.
      For the past few days she's been driving past an enchanted forest near her home and thought how I might like to be there. So she bundled me up, made a hot thermos of tea, gave me extra batteries for a potentially grumpy camera, beautiful warm gloves, drove me to the forest and shoved me out the passenger door whilst she and her little boy waited. When the cold became too much for my hands I made a mad boot-thumping run back to the warm car for tea and, yes, a little sympathy. Two minutes was all it would take and I'd be off again.
enchanted forest I
enchanted forest II
warm light, cold light
chauffeur service
Thank you, Laura.

*

11 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Wow, those are such pretty pictures! And how nice of Laura, she is so sweet and thoughtful!

2 February 2008 at 10:17  
Blogger Tarasview said...

beautiful pictures. You really should do a book or something.

2 February 2008 at 10:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such an eye for beauty. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous pictures!

2 February 2008 at 14:42  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello my sweetness, it's been wonderful to read through these past few posts and get more of a glimpse of what Yellowknife is like. Wow, I cannot imagine what -50 C feels like. I read these last night and then had a dream about my eyeballs freezing up and having to defrost them with warm thumbs (someone else's). -27 C was cold enough, but -50C is almost twice as cold and I just cannot get my head around how cold that must be. Do you think if you stood still for long enough you would just freeze right there and then? Do you have to make a conscious effort to keep moving? I have a million questions about how it feels. Please can you post something about that? Like what would happen if you took a glove off in that cold? Would your hand fall off after a few minutes?

Loved all your photos and Sonya is right, you do have an eye for beauty.

Sorry I've been away - I aim to be back from now on.

x

4 February 2008 at 00:24  
Blogger Felicia said...

Laura's a smart lady :) What a magical place.

4 February 2008 at 18:46  
Blogger Mindy said...

'Spectacular!' was the first word that came to my mind.

4 February 2008 at 21:00  
Blogger Cheryl of the Wilds of C said...

Beautiful, Colleen.

4 February 2008 at 23:23  
Blogger Talena said...

I love friends like that. So glad that you have at least one.

I also love hoar frost. So, so great.

6 February 2008 at 15:13  
Blogger Kori's House said...

I am loving all your pictures!! Beautiful!

8 February 2008 at 00:05  
Blogger Nan said...

I especially love the way the sky looks. Gorgeous photos. Do you have a special lens/camera?

8 February 2008 at 13:11  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you, friends! :)

Nan, I don't have a special camera. Just regular. (Except that for some reason it can tolerate -40° weather for short periods of time and for that I am very grateful.) That is the way the sky was. Everything is very white and pale. It's hard to believe it's really like that sometimes even when I'm looking right at it! And MANY of my photos do not turn out. More don't than do. They look nice but it's almost impossible to get it to expose properly. Any auto-fixes want to darken my photo and exosing it more to whiten the snow tends to bleach out details. I'm not sure what camera would capture it exactly or what I would have to do. My cammie is a Canon something or other, point and shoot, and it's four years old.

8 February 2008 at 14:58  

any questions?

<< Home