The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: amish friendship bread

The Pancake Chronicles

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

amish friendship bread

      How many of you have heard of Amish Friendship Bread? The idea is to make two loaves from a portion of bread starter for yourself and pass the rest of the starter on to three of your friends, and they to three of their friends and the friends of those friends and so on and so forth into all the world goes this bread of love. Sweet Laura gave me a freezer bag of yeasty goo along with simple pre-tasty bread instructions to follow over a ten-day period. She also gave me a taste of the bread she'd made from the yeasty goo starter that someone else had given her ten days before that. Oh, twas tasty, my friends. So even as I type I have a loaf of bread in the oven waiting. Perfect for elevenses. Hey! I must say that not until this very moment did I realise 'elevenses' was a real word. (Thank you once again, Wikipedia!) My North American self had only ever heard the word in the movie Lord of the Rings as in my favourite following exchange:
Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: You've already had it.
Pippin: We've had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.
*

8 Comments:

Blogger villagegirl said...

I haven't made that bread in years!! It really is good! Glad you are enjoying it. yum.

5 February 2008 at 15:12  
Blogger Rachel said...

It's is scrumptious...but I don't have any starter. Can one start their own starter? Do you know?

6 February 2008 at 13:41  
Blogger Talena said...

Mmm--yummy bread, yummy movie, yummy men... This post was delicious!

6 February 2008 at 14:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Amish Friendship Bread but haven't made any in many years.

LOVE the LOTR quote too! I wish I was a hobbit so that I'd have an excuse to eat all day long. ;)

6 February 2008 at 17:23  
Blogger Mindy said...

I have certainly heard of Amish Friendship bread! I often have friends that threaten to give me some starter...and I say 'threaten' because they know I wouldn't know what to do with it.

There were just 3 Amish girls in my house today. Had I read this sooner, I would have asked them if they ever make Amish Friendship Bread. :)

6 February 2008 at 17:41  
Blogger Rose said...

There's an award for you at my blog. Come and get it!

6 February 2008 at 20:09  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Rachel! There's a link in the post that should take you to a recipe for the starter. :)

7 February 2008 at 17:21  
Blogger Nan said...

Gosh, I haven't thought about this bread for years. I remember doing it, and also a Portuguese Easter Bread, I think. Yum. I believe Winnie the Pooh speaks of elevenses. I love the plate in the picture.

8 February 2008 at 13:04  

any questions?

<< Home