The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: sweet sleep

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

sweet sleep

church across the river
      A few days ago, while in British Columbia, my friends Jenna and Sage and I made a little visit to Fort Langley. I had a London Fog at the Village Coffee and Tea. Jenna bought special tea for Eddie while Sage and I looked at how a jar of maple syrup lit in gold and ochre when the sun shone through it. Usually when I'm in Fort Langely I like to poke through the shops like the garden store and the Paper Moon, Wendel's Bookstore, antique stores and art galleries but this day was so lovely it was almost painful to put a foot indoors. Instead, after tea and with a handful of honey sticks, we traipsed over the railroad tracks and down to the Fraser River just seconds away to poke at things with sticks and deep breathe the March air. Heading back to the van when Jenna and I stopped just one more time to look at grocery store flowers and Sage burst into tears we knew we'd pushed it just a bit too far. After all this date was for wee her and we'd forgotten it for a moment. To the van we went, honey sticks were reintroduced and clouds parted over a tear-stained perfectly freckled nose and a bobbing head heavy from sleep as we made our way home.
      Is there anything honey can't do?
becoming spring

6 Comments:

Blogger Talena said...

I don't know, if there is. The list of it's many uses seems to be growing every time I turn around! :-)

Sounds lovely.

19 March 2008 at 15:18  
Blogger jenna said...

I love this post because I was there. And you forgot to mention that the little church across the river would be a great setting for a little novel that you could write.
C'mon commenters... wouldn't it be wonderful to read that book?

19 March 2008 at 21:55  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

aaahhh yes, I would be the first to get my very own copy. Beautiful photos and beautiful words to describe them. You are beautiful! tee hee hee..

20 March 2008 at 17:33  
Blogger the mama said...

I love freckles. I HAVE freckles. And they are the color of honey. :)

20 March 2008 at 21:38  
Blogger Mrs.French said...

Wow do I love this post. Your writing makes me feel as if I was right there with, and it sounds as if you have a van so there should be more than enough room for me. I will bring my own honey sticks.

21 March 2008 at 23:30  
Blogger Mindy said...

Yes, yes! A novel!! And if not a novel, then just a book with your thoughts. Pleeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

26 March 2008 at 09:12  

any questions?

<< Home