The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: bear

The Pancake Chronicles

Thursday, April 10, 2008

bear

      Despite the warmth, the high sun, giant puddles and the steady roof-corner drip of once upon a time snow it has been all I can do to get outside. We've had the coldest winter in many years. Last week it was still dropping to -30°C (-22°F) at night but yesterday we had a high of 7°C (45°F). The wild swing of northern spring. It must be shock. I'm approaching it all with skepticism, uncertainty - a toe dipped in pool water. It seems I'd rather stand in the warmth of a kitchen skylight and slow blink up at the glass separating me from outside than be outside. It really has happened so suddenly and I don't know how to unhibernate. My home is my cave is my home is my cave ....
      I'm engrossed with how the sun is familiarizing himself once more with the interior of my domain. Shadow introduced to shaft. Windows dimpled and streaked. Corners I'd left for dead are butter lit.
      Forget the outdoors where everything is stripped and slush, grime and gravel. I'll be there soon enough. Inside it's thawing too.
*

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could put some of my warm weather in a box and send it to you. I don't know how you northern people do it, but I applaud you.

10 April 2008 at 18:14  
Blogger Les said...

I love the atmosphere in the second photo!

I've come by via Nan's blog. I've known Nan for years and years and have seen your comments and thought I should pay you a visit. You have a beautiful blog. Gorgeous photography! I've looked back through your archives (back to September) and have finally figured out where you live. I'm in Nebraska, but was born in Canada. We lived in Alberta when I was a little girl. Just a "little" bit south of you in Valleyview, Alberta. I should never complain about the cold again! -49 is far worse than anything we've seen this winter.

I'll be back, Colleen. Lovely, lovely blog.

11 April 2008 at 19:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you keep your skin moisturized? The omega 3s should be a great help.

12 April 2008 at 10:19  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi everyone! Sonya - you must have sent that warm weather airmail because it's around 10C today! Weeee!
And a special "hi" to you Les! A fellowette Canadian! How cool! And Valleyview at that! My husband worked in Valleyview for a time and friends of ours grew up there. Our circles may actually link in places! I really am glad you came by. It warmed me down to my socks. :)
And Clara! I finally, after all these years, realized that I needed to get serious about moisturizing! We do eat lots of wild salmon and flax and omega-3 eggs and all those types of things. The thing that seems to be the hardest for me to remember is using skin care. I love Arb*nne's moisturizer but forget to put it on most of the time. I'm getting a little better at remembering ... those fine lines that keep popping up are a good reminder!

13 April 2008 at 19:54  
Blogger Les said...

Ah, I somehow doubt you know anyone who knew my family when we lived in Valleyview. I don't even know who we knew. I was only 4 years old! I posted a picture back in January that you might enjoy. Go here .

16 April 2008 at 18:01  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello there! I'm so glad the sun is hanging out a bit more with you up there in those frozen snowy wastes.

Sending you armfuls of warmth.

xx

18 April 2008 at 04:26  
Blogger Ace said...

Hiya, I read this during my lunch break. Was beautiful. The pictures didn't show up then though.

Dreamy. xx

20 April 2008 at 01:03  

any questions?

<< Home