The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: flies 'n bison

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

flies 'n bison

The drive to and from Yellowknife is a long one.

In fact, no matter where you live Yellowknife is far from you. (Except if you live in Yellowknife. Then you're just out the door and ta da!)

The road is long.
The road is buggy.
I have a growing respect for the windshield up here.
DSC_0661

While driving to and fro we brake for buffalo. We usually see at least two herds.

We also brake for frost heaves in the road.
We soar and yell things and think of chiropractors if we encounter frost heaves
without braking.

We talk lots.

We say nothing quite a bit.

We get gas at the first station we see 310 kilometres later.
And use the washroom.
And get snacks and drinks.
Always use a straw with your drink when you're on the road to Yellowknife.
Just ... trust me.

What's this?

Hi guys.


Take your time.

Oh again?



Please brake for them.
Wait for them.
They are deceptively fast and more switchbacky than you might think.


Do not disturb them.
What does that mean? you ask.
I don't really know, I reply.

Eye contact.
Fidget.


Their eyes used to bother me. I didn't like wood bison at all.
Something changed.
Now I yell Buffamalo! (à la Homer Simpson) as soon as we spot them.


*

7 Comments:

Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

You were quoted?! By a magazine? How cool is that?!!

I love this post. And the bison. I remember the bison. Not so much the frost heaves. I remember the two hundred miles of gravel road they tried to pass off as "highway," though. Has that been paved, yet?

16 July 2008 at 20:20  
Blogger Colleen said...

Yup! All paved. We are so civilized. Care for a spot o' tea?

16 July 2008 at 23:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent driving pictures, Colleen. I've managed to see bison before, but never running around the wild like that, very cool.

I hope you're enjoying the summer,

Trevor

17 July 2008 at 11:18  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, Trev! We have the largest wood bison population in the WORLD. Yup. That's our claim to fame. But really I just live here. We co-exist among the buffalo, pretty much like Dances with Wolves except maybe a little different.
Summer's been good.

18 July 2008 at 17:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love bison! And your pictures are marvelous!

19 July 2008 at 16:07  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, girl! They don't creep you out? They did me for the longest time, I'm not sure why ....

19 July 2008 at 18:26  
Blogger Nan said...

They are a miracle; no other word will do.

7 August 2008 at 18:45  

any questions?

<< Home