The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: ignorance is blissn't

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, July 14, 2008

ignorance is blissn't

      The unusually large dash of oh my I'd referred to earlier was us coming home after our trip and discovering that water had leaked all over the floor of our bedroom, throughout our closet and down the hallway. Without going into details I will simply say that it was the smell that first clued us in that not all was as it should be. As we had pulled into our driveway after a nine hour day of road travel Mark heard the siren song of the ice cream truck and thought chocolate dipped was a good idea. I agreed. Except butterscotch and covered in peanuts. So it was with recently entertained and satiated taste buds that we walked the stairs to our front door, luggage in tow, and entered our home, rank home. I thought the smell was due to the windows having been closed for some time but when I rolled my suitcase into our room and the smell presented itself more, er, forthrightly I knew we had a greater problem than "tight air" on our hands.
"MARK!"
      He immediately followed the siren song of my voice and from there walked straight to the source of the problem. It was when he said water that I noticed the carpet was marshing slurpily at my feet.
      Now we are in the middle of insurance and quotes and thoughts of renos with how much or how little and fans blowing and suckers sucking
while being stationed temporarily in the guest room with all the contents of our soggy room stacked in numerous piles about the living room. It's like we were able to have a holiday and a camping trip!

What We Expected
0381

What We Received

    "Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while."                  Kin Hubbard
*

8 Comments:

Blogger Kori's House said...

That sucks!
Hopefully the rainbow will be on the other side!

14 July 2008 at 23:17  
Blogger Les said...

Oh, dear! I hate water troubles. We came home from vacation a couple of years ago and discovered our air conditioner condensation line had leaked all over our basement floor (which is carpeted). What a mess. I hope yours gets resolved quickly. What are renos?

15 July 2008 at 04:42  
Blogger Colleen said...

Oh, I'm glad you asked! Renos is short for renovations. :) Why is it that these things wait until vacations to occur?

15 July 2008 at 09:06  
Blogger Les said...

Well, we're going on vacation next month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't return home to any disasters. I finally got around to having our plumber bring our laundry hook-ups up to code (with the lever that will turn the water supply off to the washing machine). At least I won't have to worry about those hoses breaking and flooding the basement.

Good luck with the repairs!

15 July 2008 at 11:59  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

That is much more than a dash, I'd say. Oh, MY! That wasn't the best ending to the trip, but I love your "silver lining" viewpoint: vacation and camping! :-)

Hope you guys get through this sooner rather than later! Blech!

15 July 2008 at 15:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I had a leaky ceiling while we were away at one time...it was literally raining at home!

16 July 2008 at 00:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh drat! Nothing ruins a homecoming like your house in less-than-perfect condition. I hope everything works out with the renos!

19 July 2008 at 16:04  
Blogger Nan said...

That is one of the best quotes I've ever read.

7 August 2008 at 18:46  

any questions?

<< Home