The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: peaved

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, July 21, 2008

peaved

I picked my first peas ever! From my first garden ever!
dud peas
      And they were duds. Close sources have informed me that I waited too long to pick them. They tasted woody and fresh from the grocery store. For almost as long as I can remember I've been disinclined toward the pea. Mushy, fuzzy, chalky, full of taste in all the wrong places. Planting garden peas was my attempt to start afresh. Give peas a chance. I haven't given up hope however. I waited too long and that was not the fault of the peas. Blame the girl with pea-green thumbs. But I can't stay mad at her for long. She did not know. If I frown at her she will not plant them again. And she really wants to like peas.
      Peas. PEAS. Little peas that you are. Yes, you there, Pea. Your long-heralded sweet taste has all these years eluded me and now twelve more months have passed and I still do not like you. I want to like you but could you give me a little something to work with? Maybe wave a flag when you're ready or pinch me behind the kneecaps if I walk by and don't think of you. This would help. That is all.
     

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of peas. Neither are my offspring. Although my youngest keeps trying to convince me that peas fresh out of the garden are quite edible. Hmmm...might have to try them some day.

22 July 2008 at 22:58  
Blogger Mindy said...

I used to not like peas. I used to hide them under my plate at the dinner table in an attempt to convince my parents that I had eaten every last one of them. And they were convinced...that is until my mom cleared my plate and found a ring of peas staring back at her.

"MINDY!!!"

Too late. I was already gone. :)

However, over the years something changed and now fresh peas are one of my most favorite veggies.

23 July 2008 at 13:09  
Blogger Nan said...

Your close sources are right, and please, please, please do not be discouraged. Try again next year and pick early and almost when you think there is nothing inside. Little peas, very, very small peas are the treat of the world. Better than any food I can think of, and at the opposite end, old peas, big peas are just about the worst. I've gardened for 30+ years and still, yes, still don't get them picked on time.

7 August 2008 at 18:39  

any questions?

<< Home