The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: together at last!

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

together at last!


L to R - Cheryl, Colleen, Mindy

      One of the super cool things about Cheryl and Mindy coming to visit me is that we had never been altogether in one place at one time. For some reason they thought that the best first meeting place would be here in North of All That's Far Flung. I heartily agreed. They also thought they should drive here. I encouraged them to do this but it was all their idea. If you can it is the best way to travel north of 60° for the first time. It gives one silent awe for the vast distance of this place from most others and for the largeness of Canada and of how much north there still is beyond Yellowknife once you get here - vast tracts of almost people-less land. Forty two thousand people live in the Northwest Territories, 19,000 of whom are in Yellowknife. The rest are spread out over the remaining 1,140,678 square kilometres. Each of us could have 27 km2 (16.7 mi2) to ourselves. We like our space.
      The first time I ever laid eyes on Yellowknife was when I rolled into town with Mark's parents, all my worldly possessions in a horse trailer hitched to the truck. Where am I? There really is no feeling like it. An urban outcrop in the Barren Lands, a government city replete with small highrises, car dealerships, Wal-Mart, coffee joints and lunch hour traffic jams. Have you people been up here this whole time?
      On the second day of travelling here vehicle traffic drops off sharply. Often you will not see anyone in any direction for a full ten minutes of driving. The land drops off as well. In many places all that can be seen is a row of trees margining the highway and not much to be seen beyond that row. It's just you, the trees, and a taut ribbon of road for mile after miles and hours. The landscape changes in unusual ways. The evergreens shrink, soil gives way to bog, unnamed lakes hole-punch the rock of the Canadian Shield and herds of wood bison gain the right of way. It's a road trip for good tunes and potentially listening through your entire MP3 catalogue. It's a trip for just you and your thoughts and leaving the rest behind.
      But more importantly it's a trip to take with a friend and come visit me!
*
*Photo taken with Cheryl's camera.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn it, the picture wouldn't load :(

I am sure it was lovely! The sun finally peeked out from behind the rain for a couple hours now! I hope the sun is shining on you too:)

Kel

20 August 2008 at 15:01  
Blogger Mindy said...

...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

20 August 2008 at 20:03  
Blogger aennswind said...

During our first year up in YK back in '96, we drove south for Christmas with my family. We were about an hour from Ft. Providence when my newly-wed husband declared he had to go to the washroom, so he pulled over to the side of the road. I decided to do the same in spite of the -40 conditions. As you said the traffic drops off significantly so I didn't worry about exposing myself to the world (but it was a little cold). Of course as I was squatting my husband declared there was an approaching car. "Yeah, right" was my response, but he assurred me that there certainly was a car. I turned my head to check and wouldn't you know it, there really was a car. I finished up quickly and jumped back into the warmth of the truck, shaking my head. It's a lonely road, but not always when you need it to be.

20 August 2008 at 21:09  
Blogger Cheryl of the Wilds of C said...

I would do it again too! Which picture are you wanting? All my flickr photos have privacy settings. I've unprivated all our threesome photos. Hopefully it will work.

21 August 2008 at 00:09  
Blogger Unknown said...

So happy you've had this time, good friends fill the soul, there is nothing in the world like them. Nothing.

Will give you a call in ten days or so when I am back in the office and have my land line.

x

21 August 2008 at 03:47  
Blogger Colleen said...

Kelli! We've had lovely days most definitely but fall is in the air and the summer warmth has fallen from the sunshine. What can ya do?

Min! ♡

Hello agsew627! That's hilarious (maybe more in retrospect?)! Good timing is almost an impossibility when it comes to matters like these. How long did you live in the Knife? I also noticed you live or have lived in Waldheim, Sask. That's where my dad was born and raised (the 30s through 50s) and I'm sure I have a relative or two kicking around there somewhere. :) We used to drive out from Weyburn to see Grandma. That drive always felt so painfully long as a child. Of course I'd never yet driven to Yellowknife! Anyhoo! I'm glad you stopped by. Come again soon!

Cheryl! ♡ Thank you, my friend. Is the photo showing now? I tried it again.

Captain Cat - Yup! I was definitely filled up. And I can't wait! xo

22 August 2008 at 08:49  
Blogger Nan said...

What a good description of the road. Makes me want to travel it. Everybody gets 16 miles - perfect! Why do people choose to live where they don't have 16 inches? :<) What about internet connection? Is it satellite or cable? Is it always reliable? Our area only has satellite unless you live in town, and though it is way better than dial-up, it still leaves a lot to be desired.

23 August 2008 at 09:40  
Blogger Kori's House said...

I think there are some stories behind those smiles!!
Sounds like a great visit!!

23 August 2008 at 19:46  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Nan! I can't imagine choosing a foot and a half of space if I didn't have to. I want to be able to spin swinging a cat (not literally, I like cats) and not hit anything. Internet connection is good! At least right within town. I think it drops off to zero just past the town perimeters. It's a wireless connection we have.

Kori! It was a great visit! Behind the crazy giggling and smiles is even more craziness. I don't even remember what we were laughing at but I do remember it didn't let up much. :D

25 August 2008 at 08:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We drove up north a couple of years ago to the wilds beyond Whitehorse and boy was that one heckuva drive! Beautiful, but long. I'd come see you but I'd take a plane. :)

25 August 2008 at 13:06  

any questions?

<< Home