The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: the season that was

The Pancake Chronicles

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

the season that was

      The time has come. I can no longer show you photos of the season that is. It is what it is and this is what it is: grey. And damp. Flat. Bare. Warmish. How many ways and times can I show you a dulled yellow leaf laying upon the wet ground? There is only so much.
© Colleen Hilman
      So I bring to you another time not so long ago. Moraine Lake, Alberta. Mindy and Cheryl and I trekked about and above the lake and filled our hearts from basement to chimney top with the beauty of that place. Near the beginning of our walk just as we'd passed the canoes we heard the strangest and loveliest sound. We couldn't tell what it was nor where it was coming from. It was an instrument, a horn of some sort we deduced, and the notes echoed and bounced off the rock walls of the mountains tumbling over each other, competing for space. We began to recognise the sounds as Amazing Grace. People everywhere were literally stopped in their tracks listening and wondering. It was so beautiful. I can't really describe the feeling it gave us all to be in such an amazing place and to hear this incredible music. As we continued to walk the notes of the hymn echoed less and less until we found ourselves standing in front of an older gentleman on the shores of the lake playing I believe, a longhorn. If anyone knows differently what instrument this is please let me know. an alphorn! (Thank you, Trevor!)
© Colleen Hilman
      I don't know if he himself actually knew how beautiful it was for us to hear him play because where he stood the echoes were silent and his wrong notes painfully obvious.
© Colleen Hilman
      It makes me think that if my own life is played with passion and trust, a joyful cacophony to God, in spite of the acute awareness I have of my inadequacy and inefficiencies, maybe what other people will hear is beautiful.
© Colleen Hilman
© Colleen Hilman
      They don't even have to know where it's coming from.
*

13 Comments:

Blogger Richard Lawry said...

What beautiful pictures. God made such beauty for all of us to see whether we believe in him or not. I am so thankful for the beauty of nature

7 October 2008 at 07:52  
Blogger Emily said...

just beautiful.

7 October 2008 at 09:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are fantastic Colleen, I love your pictures and writing. How cool is it to hear some guy blowing an alphorn out in the mountains...pretty cool I'd say!

Trevor Friesen

7 October 2008 at 11:00  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I love Moraine Lake. I can only imagine what the music would have added in beauty--but I love the lesson you drew from that, too.

Thank you.

7 October 2008 at 12:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, Colleen. Once again I find myself wishing I could just jump into the photos to experience it firsthand.

7 October 2008 at 22:09  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stunning. Once again, you have managed to transport me to a little haven of beauty and peace. I've also loved catching up on all your wonderful posts these past couple of weeks. Glorious pictures, writing and thoughts, as ever.

x

8 October 2008 at 07:42  
Blogger ELK said...

Colleen I really connected with this post ~your photos are stunning ~blessings

8 October 2008 at 12:41  
Blogger Kori's House said...

I;m enjoying your photos and life experience... you have a gift... several gifts!!!

8 October 2008 at 18:52  
Blogger Karyn said...

stunningly brilliant and achingly beautiful. Thanks for making me smile. :o)

8 October 2008 at 21:47  
Blogger Ace said...

You live in Heaven.

How come I was so close and yet didn't catch a glimpse?

9 October 2008 at 10:04  
Blogger Mindy said...

how many times can i simply do this on your blog--->:::sigh:::??

9 October 2008 at 22:17  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you for your kind words, all. ♡

A special hello to Emily! Thanks for popping by. :)

11 October 2008 at 00:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been to your website in a long time but I'm absolutely blown away and completely blessed by the photos not only on this post but all of them. This post is amazing. What a moment that must have been to hear Amazing Grace echoing through out that wondrous place.

7 November 2008 at 11:18  

any questions?

<< Home