The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: before and after

The Pancake Chronicles

Sunday, November 23, 2008

before and after

      What can I tell you about my dear old sofa? First of all, I am utterly unaware of his origins. When I moved to Calgary in January of 1999 I was shortly introduced to this couch by way of The Lunch Hour Nap. The couch had been donated and was tucked away in an old unused office and it was here that I learned to curl up in an uncomfortable ball and catch up on my zzzzzs before attempting the second half of my workday. It was old then. How old I do not know. Somewhere, somehow I was offered the couch by someone, all the details of which I do not remember and, having no furniture of my own, I took it. Of course now I had to find a new couch at work for The Lunch Hour Nap which I did, another story, a boring one, but it was more important for me to have a place to sit at home then a place to sleep at work. Be it known I didn't sleep WHILST working but slept during lunch. (Doth I protest too much, thou thinkest? Thou thinkest in error, I persist.) And then when I said "YAY!" to Mark's offer of being whisked away to a winter wonderland it was inevitable that the couch must come too. Yes, fate.
© Colleen Hilman
Here he is.

      He needs a name, don't you think? He used to have two pillows on the ends but I removed them and hucked 'em. Those cushions made people feel like they had to cuddle against their will. Not everyone wants to cuddle.
      In casual conversation I happened to mention to lovely Laura that I would really like to learn how to slipcover and that first up for transformation would be my dear old sofa. Note to self: do not mention sewing in casual conversation to Laura. She will take it to mean serious conversation and will make whatever it is you've mentioned to her and do a good job of it and then you will have to thank her because you're so happy and she will have you over for tea and make something so tasty that you will pat your tummy for joy. It's completely lopsided and there's nothing you can do about it though you may try.

Here
is the before picture of my dear couch à la Mark.
© Colleen Hilman

And here is the happily forever after!
© Colleen Hilman

And again?
© Colleen Hilman
Thank you, Laura. I love it. LOVE it.
*

14 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

He looks like a Francois to me. Frank before --> Francois after.
Take it or leave it, but I'll have you know there is a long list of car owners who insist that I have a gift at naming inanimate objects, such as your oh-so-handsome sofa. It's not so much about naming them, as it is listening carefully to what their name IS.
Francois is his name.
Nice to meet you, Francois.

23 November 2008 at 16:32  
Blogger Monika said...

Oh how lovely!!
Laura...she sure is talented!

23 November 2008 at 20:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a difference a slipcover makes.

23 November 2008 at 21:52  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Ah yes ... Karyn does have the gift of naming things. Perhaps you should consider. Hee hee!

Ok, so I used to own the larger version of your couch - perhaps it was the older sister/brother or perhaps mother of your lovely couch. Seriously. It is a long story, but I do believe they are related. I knew it looked familiar when I saw your photo!
You'll have to ask me sometime.

I love the new look the slip cover gives it! It's brilliant!

23 November 2008 at 23:18  
Blogger That Girl said...

oh nice! is making a slipcover diffcult? im tryng to learn to sew different things.

24 November 2008 at 08:15  
Blogger Cheryl of the Wilds of C said...

Who knew that couch could look so good!! I will say that before you slept on that couch at work, it spent a few years in Grant's office with plenty of youth parked upon it. I remember sitting on that couch during sponsor meetings too. That couch has a lot of ministry in it's background and was deserving of a make-over.

24 November 2008 at 08:33  
Blogger emilyruth said...

that transformation is pretty awesome:)

24 November 2008 at 16:15  
Blogger Nan said...

Just perfect, Colleen!!

25 November 2008 at 12:35  
Blogger Colleen said...

Karyn! You're awesome! I laughed aloud. :) Francois it is! Although, I have to say you had me at Frank. I might default to that occasionally because it's not good for a couch to forget where he's come from. I've no room for a cocky couch. I was also hoping for a plethora of names to pick from but I do believe thy confidence in Francois staved off any other potential name donors. And besides, I LIKE it. :)

Grafx! I didn't actually learn to make a slipcover. I still would love to, though. Laura made this one for me out of the goodness of her heart.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it! I will pass on your praise to Laura so that she may glow with pride. :)

25 November 2008 at 16:35  
Blogger Donna Boucher said...

This is just the BEST makeover!!!

I love it!

26 November 2008 at 08:30  
Blogger villagegirl said...

Francois is lovely indeed! I could come over and have a nap on him right now! :)

3 December 2008 at 07:40  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I love it, too. Beautiful job, Laura. I was wanting to slipcover our equally-aged furniture, but instead opted to sell it when we moved. I figured that there would likely be new aged (pronounced "ay-jed" furniture to slipcover in Arkansauce. Which I am sure there is, I just have not needed to look for it yet. Wow, is this what you call rambling?

I hope you are enjoying your holiday, sweets. I hope Francois isn't missing you too much. Hugs!

9 December 2008 at 15:47  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

I LOVE the 'happily ever after'! I would like to casually mention to Laura that I have two lovely floral numbers that could user her handy work :)

12 December 2008 at 20:19  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

PS...I think 'he' was a 'she' all along! SHE was just waiting for a new dress!

12 December 2008 at 20:21  

any questions?

<< Home