The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: <em>yes</em>vember

The Pancake Chronicles

Thursday, November 13, 2008

yesvember

      Ack! November! Zero sunshine, low cloud, no light, no shadow, no photos. Wait. There's a poem somewhere about this ... I'll be back ....
© Colleen Hilman
      Ahem.
No!

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon!
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day -
No sky - no earthly view -
No distance looking blue -
No road - no street - no "t'other side this way" -
No end to any Row -
No indications where the Crescents go -
No top to any steeple -
No recognitions of familiar people -
No courtesies for showing 'em -
No knowing 'em!
No traveling at all - no locomotion -
No inkling of the way - no notion -
"No go" by land or ocean -
No mail - no post -
No news from any foreign coast -
No Park, no Ring, no afternoon gentility -
No company - no nobility -
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds-
November!

Thomas Hood
      I used to be strong. I used to not care. But now all this grey really gets to me. So help me out here. What do you do to bring in the sunshine? And please, don't let it be hot chocolate, hot baths, or candles because a hundred to one I prefer chocolate milk, cool showers and bonfires. (Demanding missus, ain't she!) I've been colouring and drawing a little every day because I've found sloshing ridiculous colours onto white paper is a great un-sedative. But one can only colour so much in a day.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I flew to Saskatchewan and am currently loving the sun filled days and my unusually happy self. Though, it can be pricy. Wish you were here though....
I prefer dark chocolate, foot bath and fresh flowers! They are much cheaper than a flight to Saskabush!

Lots of love,

Kel

13 November 2008 at 20:29  
Blogger Sonya said...

I like to cook on days like that. It's my creative outlet.

Hope some sunshine comes your way!

13 November 2008 at 22:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to turn up my radio really loud and dance until I'm gasping. Silly songs are best like Squeeze Toy, It's Raining Men and Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy!

Nancy

14 November 2008 at 08:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Colleen,

To bring in sunshine I would suggest you listen to Bob Marley, read Treasure Island, or browse through beachy pictures on flickr. Me, I just close my eyes and wait for the next sunny day to come.

Trevor in Rainy Vancouver

14 November 2008 at 09:02  
Blogger Nan said...

I'd say, go out in it. The weather is much better experienced than looked at. I even did a blog entry on this recently. Oh, and the November poem, which I was just thinking about the other day, reminds me of the no-no-no-no fellow on The Vicar of Dibley. Have you seen it??

14 November 2008 at 09:56  
Blogger Nan said...

Colleen, come back, come back! I goofed and deleted your comment. It came twice, and so I was going to delete the one, but I had accidentally checked both and now they are both gone. :<(

14 November 2008 at 12:35  
Blogger jenna said...

oh the Vicar of Dibley. That is funny, no-no-n,n,n,n,no-nooo..

come to my house. That's what I'd do if I were you. It's still pretty grey here, but I'd bring you sunshine in your heart! And you could do the same for me!

14 November 2008 at 21:33  
Blogger Colleen said...

All of these are GREAT! You guys are awesome. "I laughed, I cried! It moved me, Bob."

Nan! The Vicar of Dibley! I have not! I'm going to check it out on youtube though. I tried viewing it earlier without success so I shall try again!
I think going out in the weather really is key ... well, 99.8% of the time. The weather recently had such a low ceiling for several days that even outside I felt I was being suffocated. Yesterday the ceiling lifted so that even though it was still grey and cloudy I didn't feel my knees buckling under the weight of the sky. It was nice. :)

16 November 2008 at 06:51  

any questions?

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home