The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: -39°F

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

-39°F

      Hello everyone! I'm home again and thought I should tell you what it feels like to experience a 70° degree swing (158° degrees for Imperialists in the crowd) within a two day span. Ahem. Very very swingy. If you are ever to travel from Cancun to Yellowknife consider yourself warned. How do you dress for that plane ride? There I'm applying suntan lotion, here it is moisturiser. There flip flops, here two pairs of socks simultaneously tucked into these mothers (your feet will be good to -100°F though the rest of you may be dead). There sandy beaches, here gravelled roads. There sunburn, here frost bite. There blue sky, here blue sky too. Completely different worlds under clear skies, both achingly beautiful.
© Colleen Hilman
      Despite some travel hitches we got to and fro okay and I have scads² of palm tree/sand/horizon/ocean pictures to prove it. (Also I hope to never say scads again. It sounds horrible - ie "picking through scads of photos". EWWW.) In fact I am somewhat buried in scaddy palm tree photos (I didn't say I wouldn't say scaddy) and sorting through them is turning out to be a "this-is-taking-me-hours" kind of job and meanwhile there is regular life that needs to be lived. SO! It will happen. I will get there. Just not today quite.
      Later dudes. It's good to be back.

9 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Hi Colleen,
Lucky you, I didn't know you went to Cancun!! Yes, that would be quite the temp change going from Cancun to Yellowknife! Looking forward to seeing some pics soon,
Monika

11 December 2008 at 13:06  
Blogger Richard Lawry said...

Wow! Cancun to Yellowknife is an amazing extreme. We will be traveling to Cozumel, Mexico on the 20th. That will be a big enough difference. It has been about 25 F. the past few mornings. I hope you had a great time, and soaked up enough warmth to get you through for awhile.

An Arkie's Musings

11 December 2008 at 15:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cancun?? YOU go away for a week and look what I find out!! LOL!

Lucky you, hope it was a wonderful trip and I will now get your little something in the mail next week. It's not Hawaii in a bottle but just as good!

Glad you are back :)

Kel

11 December 2008 at 22:01  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Hey! You're back! Glad to hear you had a great time, but I can say I am just a wee bit jealous right now. Can't wait to see all the photos. Stay warm! :o)

12 December 2008 at 01:12  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

Welcome back!
Sounds dreamy...sand, sun, palm trees...mmmmmmm!!!

12 December 2008 at 20:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're back Colleen! And so glad that you got some warmth into you. We are heading down south at the end of this week and will have to go through a similar temperature situation ourselves. I think the going will be great. The coming back, not so much.

14 December 2008 at 08:29  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

Welcome home! Scaddy sounds kind of "scabies"-ish, though, doesn't it?

I waved. Did you see me?

14 December 2008 at 09:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you travel over here to SE Asia, the extreme difference in attire will be the same as with Cancun. I often find it tricky to dress from home to airport and vice versa.

17 December 2008 at 10:53  
Blogger Nan said...

Loved this post!

17 December 2008 at 13:53  

any questions?

<< Home