The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: for real

The Pancake Chronicles

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

for real

© Colleen Hilman
      What I found out while we were on holidays was that poinsettias are indigenous to Mexico and Guatemala. I was very happy to discover this. My whole life came into pinprick focus upon hearing this information for I have had a question mark in said life that has continually hovered o'er the yearly potted poinsettia. This singular cute and curvy punctuation has come to represent many questions re: the poinsettia - questions such as why? where? I'm not sure and how come? - each query flooding my mind with concern. Why do poinsettias just pop up in December and vacate the premises after? Where do poinsettias come from? I'm not sure I like poinsettias. (Technically that's not a question of course but it involves mystery and mysteries involve questions so technically it is.) And how come poinsettias represent Christmas? I still have to find the answer to the why and how come (Wikipedia, here I come) but I do know that just knowing they have a real home somewhere and aren't contrived of red construction paper by elves on Candy Cane Lane has endeared me to them and, I believe, (ahem) them to me.
      The real photo above was really taken in real Mexico and is of a real poinsettia really growing in the real ground with real tropical raindrops upon its real leaves. And I really like it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

And I really like you.

As for the poinsettias...huh. Who knew?

Actually, now that you mention it, I remember seeing poinsettias in Bolivia when I was there. But I had forgotten about them. Until now. Thanks to you, those poinsettias are no longer forgotten.

23 December 2008 at 15:06  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

There are also poinsettias in India. They grow rather quickly into tall, lanky trees, and the people we knew there referred to them as "Christmas Trees". They are probably popular at Christmas, because that is when they are in bloom--and they are so pretty and red.

29 December 2008 at 15:35  

any questions?

<< Home