The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: cool hand colleen

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, March 06, 2009

cool hand colleen

cupboard light © Colleen Hilman
      I think that maybe last winter I might have damaged my hands just ever so from taking photos in the severe cold. If I took them properly (see something outside from inside, run outside, snap-snap-snap, run back in) my hands would be fine. If I took them improperly (wander outside in the Styrofoam crunch, snap-snap-snap, meander like a lost puppy, snap-snap-snap, wonder what's around the next corner over there, snap-snap-snap, hello, what's this? snap-snap-snap) not so good. By the time I got home my hands would be frozen and aching. If I ever got to the point where I thought hmmm, my hand will be getting cold soon, I should warm 'em it was generally too late. Once the cold had hit them it hit them hard and deeply.
      Alas, since then my fingers will occasionally go white and numb and tingly all on their own for no apparent reason. This alarms me slightly. Which brings me to this: I really haven't been taking a lot of outdoor photos this winter and have been sticking quite staunchly to the insides of things. But really now, there is only so much of my own house to snap at.
      Why am I telling you all this? Because I wish I could play in the snow for hours at a time and not care and stand under the northern lights with my tripod and wait as seconds compress and snooze in an ice castle and wave my mittens without end and I'm sleepy and I need some sympathy ... and tea. Yes! Tea!
*

9 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

And WHY my dear one, did I not know about this sooner?!?! Hmmmmmmm????? You poor, poor thing, you. I will say that I"m perfectly content with pictures from the inside OF the inside if it means that your fingers stay intact. (I told you the story about my grandmother, didn't I?...freezing temperatures are not something to wink at).

I love you, dear. Please take care of yourself.

8 March 2009 at 15:47  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my sweetness! Violins indeed... and why stop there, let's get an orchestra going, for fingers are our instruments and make things happen. YOUR fingers make wonderful things happen, such as this page where I come when my heart needs to warm and remember that people like YOU are out there somewhere snapping away with your camera on frostbitten days.

I am going to send you some mittens.

I love you.
xxxx

9 March 2009 at 05:32  
Blogger Unknown said...

.. you've also just reminded me that there is a kettle in my hotel room, and I hadn't realised how much I wanted a cup of tea as well! The water is bubbling away now as I write. Tea tea tea tea. x

9 March 2009 at 05:37  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Oh my dear girl ... your hands - ouch! I'm glad that you have been keeping them cozy and warm inside.
I do love your photos of the inside too. I love your perspective on life! Please keep warm my friend. Love you muchly! Wanna come over for some tea? The pot is brewing....

9 March 2009 at 07:59  
Blogger Amanda said...

Colleen, I've never read your blog before today, very interesting....hmmm that could be taken differently depending on how you read it...lighten your voice and raise your eyebrows slightly, as opposed to lowering your voice and raising just one eyebrow. LOL

I didn't know you were such a great photographer. Have you taken a course? I ask because I would like to learn to take photos better, "the better the picture the better the scrapbook"

Oh one more question, why the pancake chronicles?

9 March 2009 at 12:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is this amazing invention made from wool (or variations thereof...) and it keeps the hands warm and you can still use your fingers for finger snapping!!
Hee hee.

I love this picture of the doorwalllight. Very calming I can't stop looking at it.

Jeff's hands were both completely frozen as a child to the point of...well I will spare you the details but lets just say his does the same thing with the tingly numb thingy.

But maybe you should ask a doctor just in case. Tingly numb fingers could add up to a number of not so good things!!

:-) Kandace

9 March 2009 at 19:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"his DO the same thing" ??

grammar wha..?

:-) K.G.

9 March 2009 at 19:49  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hello everybody! (said in the tone of Dr. Nick Riviera ala The Simpsons.) You guys ROCK. For real. I've got warm fuzzies quite through. :) And thank you for your concern! I'm kinda concerned myself. I'm not sure what I'll do. I may just have to make a trek to a doctor and see what's what.

A big HI, Amanda! Whassup? I read what you wrote with a high voice and both my eyebrows furrowed - what does that mean? heh heh I'm glad you like the photos! I haven't taken a photography class but I would like to sometime. I've had had a lot of time though this past year to take a WACK load of photos and it's been great fun. I bet you're looking forward to the return of a certain Tea Winters. Is a scrapbook hoedown in the works? And re: The Pancake Chronicles? The long drawn-out answer can be found here but in short to me it means to keep trying and learning with joy.

Kandace! Is it a kind of campfire ghost story like "The Man with the Frozen Nubs"? or something equally grim? Does it bother him daily? What happened? I have a morbid curiousity. "Me fail English? That's unpossible." (Ralph Wiggum - more from The Simpsons!)

9 March 2009 at 23:24  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

Mmmm... tea. And warm hands. Both good things.

10 March 2009 at 15:45  

any questions?

<< Home