The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: eats, sleeps and leaves

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, March 23, 2009

eats, sleeps and leaves

      Mark and I stayed at a hotel whilst packers packed and movers moved our housely belongings. The hotel accomodations and hired help were provided for by Mark's employer because they are the ones transferring us to BC. It's a blessing I was truly grateful for.

© Colleen Hilman
      Blessing No. 1: I didn't have to organize to the teeth and beyond infinity. I can organize myself just fine but more in fits and bursts, project stuff really, one thing at a time. What I'm really trying to say is that multi-tasking - organizing during packing while scheduling amidst saying farewells in between errands- is not my forte. It's my ... pianissimo.

© Colleen Hilman
      Blessing No. 2: It's a good thing for humankind that I had someplace else to go when three grumpish guys were about to move my piano down a long flight of snowy stairs in -30°C (-22°F). It couldn't be done without my lurking and fretting in the frost were I within a 100-foot radius of said procedure. Out of sight, out of mind.

© Colleen Hilman
      Blessing No. 3: My tumbly emotions had a place to find their footing. I think slumber may have been hard to find if I'd bedded down, encircled with cardboard and packing tape, stories crowding the spaces where furniture had been. Being in a place away from the madness of my house where I had no responsibility but to tend to my heart and eat a good breakfast was a gift.

© Colleen Hilman
      I just crawled into a big soft bed made by someone else and slept and dreamed with love for my little Yellowknife.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like not a bad way to move. Of course, knowing myself the way I do, I'd be in a constant state of worrying over whether or not the movers/packers were snooping through my stuff and taking good care of my precious belongings. But I suppose the delights of staying in a hotel would make up for all of that. :)

23 March 2009 at 14:10  
Blogger Nan said...

There was a great episode on Monk where Mr Monk was cautioning the movers. I think I would have been part way between you and Sonya - I would've stayed all day and watched to be sure they didn't hurt anything, and then gone to the motel at night. I'm glad you mentioned the job transfer because I was wondering what precipitated the move.

24 March 2009 at 11:01  

any questions?

<< Home