The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: empty

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

empty

© Colleen Hilman
Two weeks ago today three people whom I'd never met knocked politely on my door at 8:15 am. They, along with the door, were standing in close to -40°C (-40°F) temperatures so I made sure to let them in quickly. The door stayed outside.

© Colleen Hilman
A more silent trio of people you could not find which, at 8:15 am, is generally a blessing. It's just that I didn't know them and here they were, filing in with flattened cardboard under armpits, come to pack teacups and four cases of books and a potato masher and photos and pens and everything else in our house that started with "p" and otherwise. Somehow I did want to know them, to pretend to anyway, to make the whole strangeness of strangers filling corrugate to the brim with my stuff normal.

© Colleen Hilman
But really, what's normal about it?

© Colleen Hilman
For all my congenial efforts I received brief replies, glossy eyes and the raucous sound of muted shuffling. Lost in paper and duct tape. What to do? I retreated to my room and sorted through clothes and luggage feeling ... just feeling.

© Colleen Hilman
The morning thawed into afternoon and a few words emerged along with coffee, filled boxes marking their progress. They were good people and I was thankful (yet again) that there are honest to goodness real live human beings who coexist with me in the Milky Way who choose a living packing and organizing other people's stuff. Such a lovely thing.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

2 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

A bittersweet experience. I just began a children's book called The Four-Story Mistake, and the book begins with a little girl walking around her empty house before a move. It is very touching.

25 March 2009 at 11:00  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I can imagine that having someone else pack your stuff would be a little weird--but I think I'm willing to give it a go! This packing and moving your own leaves you more with an exhausted feeling than anything else. Whoo!

Lovely photos, as always.

28 March 2009 at 09:15  

any questions?

<< Home