The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: ramblings of tea and summer

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, November 23, 2009

ramblings of tea and summer

© Colleen Hilman
      Just a little summer in a glass for you.
      What I really feel like though is some Earl Gray in a mug. (Tea for me is a mug thing and coffee is a cup and saucer thing - dyslexia takes many forms.) Twinings -square tin, circle lid, looseleaf. If only I didn't keep forgetting to tack it on my grocery list!
      And a cat. I could really go for a cat. It's the purr, isn't it? I remember the day I discovered cats had sandpaper tongues. It was a summer afternoon in Saskatchewan, I must have been eight years old. Sitting outside in a lawn chair surrounded by unknown relatives catching up and talking about old times, a cat found his way to my lap and proceeded to give his fur a thorough lickdown. During this zealous bath his pink tongue tripped over my hand resting on his side. I remember the shock to find it wasn't slurpy and soft but rough, almost dry. I tried not to move a muscle thinking that if he realized he'd been cleaning two for the price of one he would stop altogether and leave me having to handle aunts and uncles on my own. It was such a sweet feeling, me and my cat, not listening to anything the grown ups were saying, on my chair island in the sun.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the little piece of summer on what is an icky gray day in my neck of the woods.

23 November 2009 at 09:47  
Blogger Colleen said...

My neck, too.

23 November 2009 at 10:07  
Blogger villagegirl said...

I'm not a huge tea drinker but Twinings Earl Gray is by far my favourite! And I like my cat too. :) Tea and a cat sound like the perfect remedy for a grey day.

23 November 2009 at 12:20  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

I'm not so sure I can share the same sentiments about cats, but I can say that your story makes me smile. Sweet it is.

And ... that flower ... well, it makes me smile too! :o)

23 November 2009 at 17:26  
Anonymous jenna said...

I love it when you write a little something that creates a picture in my imagination. Your photographs are always so beautiful, but your words create beautiful pictures too!

23 November 2009 at 20:46  
Blogger Les said...

Oh, my. How I so love cosmos!! Thank you, Colleen. You have brightened my evening. :)

24 November 2009 at 17:37  

any questions?

<< Home