The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: The Bag

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, November 29, 2010

The Bag

© Colleen Hilman
   Have you ever sipped a London Fog?  Half a mugful of strongly brewed Early Grey tea (not longly brewed, strongly brewed - longly will make it bitterly) and half a mug of sweetened steamed milk with a wee vanilla.  I love it to my toes.
   When I watch Mark's hockey games I pack a (not so) little bag of goodies.  I do this because I have to reprogram my brain - "sports are great", "I like sports", "hockey is the best", "it's not that cold", etc.  This is where the bag comes in of which The Drink ranks as most important.  In tightly descending order:
  • The Drink - I'm cold, I don't understand what I'm seeing, I am needy and out of my element therefore a hot and steamy drink is necessary.  If you don't understand the link between these two I'm sorry I can't help you.  Enter London Fog.
  • The iPod - running beauteous music as a sort of epic backdrop to the skating makes hockey fun!  It's exciting when the music matches the action on the ice or, even better, it doesn't match at all and makes me think how things are deeper, darker, better, brighter, sadder and funnier they what they seem and I'm the only one who knows.   
  • The Book - a big juicy tome of a book is vital for reading in between periods and waiting before and after the game so I do not have to fake my way through sports conversation with a Knowledgeable Someone ie "yeah, refs.  That no-icing call completely winged the defense high stick".  Also, I like to read.
  • The Daytimer - in case I have a brilliant thought and I need paper and pen to scratch it down.  I haven't scratched yet but ... I'm hopeful.
Things that can't fit in The Bag but carry equal importance are The Boots and The Blanket.  Warmth, warmth, warmth for without this I am reduced to cranky foot-stamping.  There is something else that can't fit in The Bag which I would like to bring but rarely do and that is The Friend.  I love The Friend but if The Friend is there I stop watching the game altogether and commence to random giggling and goofiness for the duration.  I really do want to be a good fan.  Boundaries are needed.  So what that I need a little help!  I tell myself it's progress, not perfection.

© Colleen Hilman

10 Comments:

Anonymous splendid said...

oh how i wish i'd known you when my middlest was doing soccer!!! only now 6 years later can i look back and think 'those were the good ole days!"
youngest and i thank you for the London Fog recipe cannot wait!

29 November 2010 at 05:05  
Blogger Ada said...

Oh, my dear, you are splendid. Just delightful, and thoughtful,and all around interesting. I like your honesty, and ingenuity in dire sporting times, and I truly wish we lived closer to one another.

29 November 2010 at 05:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a sweet, supportive wife to support your hubby's love of playing hockey.

29 November 2010 at 08:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The drink sounds divine!

What a trooper to "reprogram" whilst being supportive!!

Kel

29 November 2010 at 22:27  
Blogger Rachel said...

No snacks?!

30 November 2010 at 22:29  
Anonymous your mama said...

You are a trooper....a most creative trooper! The part that really makes me smile is your use of the iPod with it's in-sinc/out-of-sinc backdrop to the game :)

1 December 2010 at 00:01  
Blogger Nan said...

This was so very wonderful, Colleen. I've only been to a couple hockey games when my nephew was a little boy, but I remember the place being the coldest place I'd been in. The cold gets right into your bones.

I emailed you this morning to let you know that someone has hacked into your address book (if that's the right phrase), and is sending out junk; a web address to click that is smut. I don't know what you do about it, but I'm sure someone can help you.

1 December 2010 at 07:34  
Blogger villagegirl said...

I love this post! I love that you are honest and I love that you support your hubbers.
That sounds like a very good necessities bag.
I'm with Rachel. Me thinks a good hunk of chocolate (or whatever the craving of the day is) may also enhance the 'fan' experience. :)

1 December 2010 at 17:05  
Blogger Colleen said...

Snacks! I agree! I forgot to say I brought baklahva along.

4 December 2010 at 11:10  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I am so with you on the opinion on watching hockey. I barely got through forty minutes of watching my kid skate last year! And I get to do it again this year, I'm assuming... my bag usually contains knitting needles, but it is too cold to knit in an arena. I'm thinking The Drink will definitely be included, though!

Love this post!

Also, I just realized how long it has been since I was here--December is such a blur for me, I know I did fun stuff, but blogging was definitely not included. Yikes!

10 January 2011 at 11:15  

any questions?

<< Home