The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: in a perfect world

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

in a perfect world

© Colleen Hilman
I'm frustrated.
I'm frustrated that I have to write about fruitcake.

© Colleen Hilman
Why do you have to write about fruitcake? you may query.
It is because fruitcake and fruitcake recipes are what I have photos of I will say.

© Colleen Hilman
The thing is that at least half of you hate fruitcake with all your heart.

© Colleen Hilman
The rest of you probably eat it in the dark away from the mocking, condescending remarks of haters who won't let you love in peace. If you hear one more remark about using fruitcake as a doorstop you will cry.
So there you are,
in the dark,
eating.
Eating fruitcake.

© Colleen Hilman
What can be said?
Baby steps, that's what. Yes, baby steps.
Turn that light on and munch for joy!
Next year, turn the light on and invite loved ones to witness!
Two years from now you'll be having theme-related parties like Dress Up as Your Favourite Fruitcake or Let's All Only Eat Fruitcake for Dinner!

© Colleen Hilman
A girl can dream, can't she?

10 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

I love this post. I love your pictures. I love your blog. I do not love fruitcake. :<)

9 December 2009 at 07:23  
Anonymous Mama Bear said...

Good morning C :)
Congratulations! Just wanted you and all your readers to know that the fruitcake you helped make/bake last week is the very best ever!.....really!!!.....moist, delicious and just the right combination of ingredients.....a piece of which is waiting for you***to eat in the light, to eat in the dark, to eat with a loved one, to eat with a shark.... :)

Warm, 'fruit-cakey' hugs!

9 December 2009 at 07:42  
Blogger Teresa said...

Great post. Since my Mom passed away the torch has been passed on to me to make the fruitcake. Every year in September my father begins to ask if I have started prepping the fruit. Fruitcake is something that grows on you after awhile, for all the haters out there - there's lots of of treats to enjoy. It wouldn't be Christmas without fruitcake. Enjoy!

9 December 2009 at 09:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never liked fruitcake, but yours looks yummy.

9 December 2009 at 10:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever eaten fruitcake. Any dislike I harbour is entirely the result of the evil anti-fruitcake propaganda machine! You have struck a blow for freedom with this post! Mail me a piece of fruitcake!

Nancy

9 December 2009 at 18:38  
Anonymous Pamela said...

I kink of like fruitcake but I love my mom's fruitcake.

10 December 2009 at 15:17  
Anonymous Pamela said...

I meant "kind of" not "kink of". Ha!

10 December 2009 at 15:19  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love fruitcake and will shout it out...unashamed!

12 December 2009 at 18:33  
Blogger Karyn said...

*sigh* I absolutely ADORE fruitcake and I don't care who knows it!
Does anyone else eat around all the cherries and save them for last?
OK, maybe that's just me being weird.

17 December 2009 at 23:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

it is a family tradition to watch 'pee wee's christmas special' every year. totally made in the 80's. i don't know how you feel about pee wee herman, but he doesn't like fruitcake and everyone gives him a fruitcake as a gift. miss renee, who is jewish, gives pee wee 8 fruitcakes. he eventually makes a room out of all of them. I don't think i've ever actually tried a fruitcake... i, too, have just assumed. but I like fruit and i like cake! you have inspired me to try!

18 December 2009 at 18:48  

any questions?

<< Home