The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: à la Charlie Brown

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, December 17, 2010

à la Charlie Brown

© Colleen Hilman
Here is my favourite Christmas ornament.  It is a mosquito of the exaggerated size one might find during Yellowknife's summer months and it is impossible to convey via photo how adorable he is.  He has a little beak that can be seen in his profile and eyes that say "I can't help I'm a mosquito.  I didn't choose this life."  When I turn the tree lights on in the morning I give him a little pat because I cannot help myself.  He is too stinkin' cute!  Another reason he is my favourite is because he's practically my only ornament.  I sold our artificial tree a few weeks ago because there is no room for it in our cozy apartment (even taking valuable storage space) and in its place is the miniest, weeniest saddest excuse for a fake tree you have likely seen so only mini, weenie things are on the tree.  Enter mosquito.
My teeny tree is not just in my mind either and I will illustrate.  My friend Nancy Pants came over the other evening to partake of pumpkin cheesecake and stated, "You don't have a tree up".
And I said "Yes, I do.  It's right there."
And she said, "Oh.  I didn't see it."
Case in point.
I think if we are still living in this apartment next Christmas I will find birch branches or somesuch to decorate instead and it will be more to my liking.  But do not take next year's plan for this year's dismay!  I don't know how it is but sometimes when things don't work you can love them even more for being what they are, for using what you have and being happy with that, and for dreaming of how you would do things if given the chance.  Today it is mini and weenie and I like it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought a mosquito could be cute...until now.

19 December 2010 at 09:43  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I'm having a hard time picturing "bird branches." Are they made out of the legs of ostriches? Are you going to become like the old hag that lived on top of a giant crow's leg? That hut was pretty tiny, too.

10 January 2011 at 11:02  
Blogger Colleen said...

HA! Birch branches, silly Tea! :) And I fear I am very unaware of the story about the hag who lived atop a giant crow's leg. That's a story t'would be hard to forget!

10 January 2011 at 18:59  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

Gosh! I must have really been out of it yesterday! I thought I read that twice just to make sure I got it right! Ha!

Believe it or not, the hag story was in a collection called "The Book of Good Night Stories" I got when I was nine--a reading for every night of the year. That one was more likely to keep me awake! (I still have the book, and although I loved it as a teenager, I shake my head, as most of the stories would give people the willies! "Fairy tales." HA!)

11 January 2011 at 09:55  

any questions?

<< Home