The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: for joy ahead

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, January 08, 2010

for joy ahead

© Colleen Hilman
      These books are my mother's.

© Colleen Hilman
      And these books were her father's.
      Beautiful, old editions of Shakespeare and Dickens.

© Colleen Hilman
      Occasionally I will see a lovely copy of, say, Great Expectations while hunting a bookstore which I will almost, just almost, purchase.

© Colleen Hilman
      Standing there, staring at it, turning it over to check the spine, putting it down, wandering the aisles pretending to look but really thinking about it and do I really need it (I didn't know about it before entering and was perfectly happy after all), returning to it, picking it up, standing, staring, turning, checking ... rinse and repeat. This is why I take so long in bookstores!

© Colleen Hilman
      Then I remember these will be mine and I put it back down, like pulling magnets apart, until I'm out the door and away, away from the lure of second bananas.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photographs.

When it comes to books I know of what you speak.

8 January 2010 at 09:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful looking books, but do remember what's inside is most important. Books like those would be kept carefully on my shelf, the paper-backed penguin published David Copperfield or Pickwick Papers would be in my back pocket.

Great pictures too. I'll show you my 1845 edition of Pepys diary (book 5) next time you are over. Not as pretty as those, but nice nonetheless.

Trevor

8 January 2010 at 09:31  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thanks, Sonshine. Book lovers unite! :)

Good point, Trevor. There are certain books I'd like to drag with me to the coffee shop and these would not be among them! I'll have to begin buying all my favourites in duplicate! (Gulp.) And Pepys diary! I think I may have seen it! Or perhaps I just thought I did? I would enjoy seeing it even if it is for a second time. Old books don't get old.

8 January 2010 at 19:58  
Anonymous gardenmama said...

Love this!
I understand your lingering at used bookstores, I can get lost in them for days... with the same thoughts. So many times beauty wins, a beautiful old illustration on a childrens book cover and I simply can't resist!

10 January 2010 at 13:55  

any questions?

<< Home