The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: for Sonya (and for you, too)

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, January 31, 2011

for Sonya (and for you, too)

© Colleen Hilman
Why did I start blogging, you ask?  Back before the hills got dusty and people used landlines more than cell phones and people didn't even say landlines and there was no such thing as Facebook and nobody shopped online a friend of mine started a blog.  A Sneaky Suspicion tiptoed past me in full-on bandit gear and made me think that blogging would be something I'd enjoy.  I could keep my far away friends and family up-to-date with my new northern life.  They could tell me how much they love and miss me in the comment section.  I would accept their love and missings with fond ponderings over coffee and thick slices of buttered toast.  And thus I began.
     In the process I have discovered the following:
         1.  I prefer writing about what I think over what I do.
         2.  I like taking photos.
         3.  I have met beautiful people that I wouldn't have otherwise.
         4.  I do not like the word blog (it sounds a sort of online wretching)
         5.  Saying web journal bothers me, too.
         6.  This list is becoming listless so I will leave the following discoveries to your imagination.
         7.  _______ and _______ but only when it rains.
         8.  Cheese helps but _______ makes me feel ______ .
         9.  ____________ oh ___________ !!!
        10. ______________ and rhubarb.
   The Pancake Chronicles isn't what I first had in mind but what it is has been nicer than I'd hoped and, "barring some unforeseen incident" (à la Seinfeld) I shall be here the day after tomorrow and perhaps the day after that, too.  (But then not the day after that day but rather the following day after that day and then most likely the day after that.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Written in true Colleen style! Love it :)

31 January 2011 at 08:06  
Anonymous splendid said...

i suppose everyone's writing has evolved over time, i look back 7 years and wonder who was that person that signed my name? but she is still here deep inside and occasionally i hear her voice. i sure do love popping in here to see what treasure you have left for the day, your photos are breathtaking and transport me; thank you for sharing your world Colleen!

31 January 2011 at 09:05  
Blogger Sarah said...

heh, heh... fond ponderings...

31 January 2011 at 19:24  
Blogger Nan said...

I think I'm reading #1 wrong. I 'heard' that you prefer writing about what you think over what you actually do in life (writing rather than action - which sometimes, I fear is my truth). But maybe you mean that you like writing about what you think rather than writing about what you do. Yeah, that's probably it.

I was just thinking yesterday about #4 and how much I wish the naming folks had come up with something nicer. Now I just feel pretentious if I say 'weblog' or 'online journal' - I've begun to refer to it as ye olde blogge at least in my head.
#7 - potato chips and Alouette
#8 - it ... bloated (this from a noncheese eater you know)
#9 - snow ... snow
#10 - strawberries

You know how I love this blog. You are a completely unique voice in the internetdiaryonlinejournalweblog world (and the other world, too), Colleen!

1 February 2011 at 11:28  
Blogger Colleen said...

Nan! You make me laugh! And I did mean I like writing about what I think more than I like writing about what I do ... but when I read what you first thought I meant I thought to myself "yup, I mean that, too." Who said curling up and reading a book whilst daydreaming wasn't an action? :)

1 February 2011 at 11:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the word "blog". I loathe it. It's such an ugly word. We really must come up with a better word, even if we have to make one up.

But whatever we call it, I'm so glad that you were inspired to start one and that we have become friends because of it. You are a real treasure.

1 February 2011 at 15:52  
Anonymous Emilie said...

Sonya is absolutely right, you ARE a treasure. I come here to remember how beautiful the world is. I come here to feel warmed to the core that there is someone like you out there. Please come back tomorrow. Please (plea).

2 February 2011 at 06:49  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I'm really glad you saw that Sneaking Suspicion, even though it was trying to blend into the scenery.

28 March 2011 at 13:16  

any questions?

<< Home