The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: analyze this

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, January 28, 2011

analyze this

© Colleen Hilman
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”
Winston Churchill

     I don't know very much about horses but this quote resonates with me.  I really wish I'd had an apple or a handful of oats for them.  It's those flubby lips pluming about my hand.  I'd giggle like a city girl and try to act casual.

© Colleen Hilman
     People say a horse can tell if you're nervous or anxious.  I wish they wouldn't say things like this because I'd have been fine otherwise.  But just knowing this information makes me feel like a fake and they know, they all know!  Here I am - smiling, pretending to be comfortable in front of a horse who is all-knowing, all-seeing, unblinking.  Stop looking at me like that. I stare at my boots and then out the corners of my eyes - a spy on a stakeout, watching a flubby-lipped beast in the snow who wants to eat apples and knows my thoughts.  I snap photos and say in a too-high, trying-too-hard voice "hey guys, how's the snow?"  I laugh like an old pro but they see through me entirely ... and wish for apples.

© Colleen Hilman
It's a little unnerving.

4 Comments:

Blogger ellen said...

I love the smell of horses. I am also afraid of them. I'd have been very wary of the one that had his/her ears back! He/she must have been getting a message from Headquarters. Your photos, as always, are lovely.

28 January 2011 at 08:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way about horses!

28 January 2011 at 20:10  
Anonymous Captain Cat said...

Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. And I love your phrase 'flubby lips pluming about your hand'. It's perfect.

29 January 2011 at 03:57  
Blogger Nan said...

If you really aren't familiar with horses, here's a tip. When you feed them, completely flatten your hand so they won't accidentally bite off a thumb or finger!

2 February 2011 at 12:23  

any questions?

<< Home