The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: starstruck

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, February 04, 2011

starstruck

© Colleen Hilman
Have you ever wondered what the stars look like over Tim Horton's?
   Earlier this week Mark was playing hockey so I dropped him off at the rink and headed to Timmy's for a hot beverage since I had neglected to make tea before his game and a Warm Something is an Absolute Necessity for watching hockey.  It was around 9 pm and not a soul was in the drive-thru lineup.  Joy!  I didn't think I'd ever seen such a beautiful thing so I whizzed up to the box and relayed my order - an extra large decaf, one quarter English Toffee.  I quickly discovered my window had frozen shut (not an uncommon thing to happen in the north although every other window in the truck zipped up and down happily) which meant I had to open my door in the drive-thru to give my order.  A little silly but whatevs.  It was cold and I had the heat blazing full-tilt and couldn't hear what the Timmy's girl said to me.  It was a bit like decmmmf wmfff mmmm mfffeee?  I turned off the heat and asked her to repeat everything in between opening the truck door further and lesser as needed with the heat fleeing into the arctic and the arctic fleeing into me.  All sorted out I drove to the pickup window when I realized I hadn't brought any cash.  This meant not only did I have to open my door to get my coffee but I also had to step outside and stand in front of the drive-thru window and use my debit card.  Which is ridiculous!  Especially because there was no line within Tim's and warmth abundant with people laughing over hot chocolate and muffins and forgetting they lived in a deep freezer world.  The Timmy's girl handed me my coffee and receipt into flash-frozen fingers and I put them into the truck through a series of shuffles and openings and clutchings and closings.  It was then I noticed how particularly icy it was.  I noticed this because I began to fall and not just any fall.  So spectacular was the descent of this fall that I had time to think about things on the way down. 
   Thought 1:  I won't fall.
   Thought 2:  I'm falling but I'll just grab onto my truck door, no problem.
   Thought 3:  Hmmm, that didn't work.
   Thought 4:  I'm really falling!
   Thought 5:  I'm flying!
   Thought 6:  My feet are higher than my head!
   Thought 7:  Just like in the cartoons!
   WOMP.
   Thought 8:  Ohhhhhhhwo. 
   And I hurt as I stared up at the northern night sky full of stars (my own or the sky's, I couldn't say for sure), laying perfectly parallel between the Timmy's and a Chevy Colorado, laughing.  Two girls peered over the counter down at me, their worried craniums obstucting constellations and saying in unison,
   “Are you okay?”
   “Yes, I'm okay.” (giggle)
   “Are you sure you're okay?”
   I got up and couldn't stop laughing.
   “Yes.”  (ow. giggle.)
   “Are you sure?”
   “Yes, I'm sure.”  (heehee.  ohh.)
   “Really?”
   “Yes, I'm fine. (ow. giggle.)  Thank you.  It's kind of funny.”  (heehee.  pain.  hee.)
   “Are you okay?”
   Was it my psychotic chortling that had them repetitively concerned? Or was it because they'd recently seen a pair of feet levitating in the drive-thru window?  Both, perhaps?  In retrospect I should've pulled the truck over and gathered my senses before operating heavy machinery all the way back to the rink, but I arrived safely with only two bruises to show for it and an ever deepening appreciation of (sigh) Mexico.  And the memory of stars ... beautiful stars ....

7 Comments:

Blogger Ada said...

I love you Colleen!

4 February 2011 at 05:24  
Anonymous splendid said...

thank you for sharing this, i once almost ran over myself with my van, long silly story, but reading this makes me feel not so alone in the universe!
xoxoxoxoxoxox

4 February 2011 at 06:33  
Blogger Em said...

Awww...I would've reacted the same. Try to laugh it off, nurse the pain later. Be warm!

4 February 2011 at 06:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Glad to hear you were ok after that crazy little adventure.

4 February 2011 at 08:53  
Blogger nan said...

Great piece of writing, Colleen! You captured such a funny moment so well, and it was awfully good-natured of you to share it. Hope those bruises heal quickly!

5 February 2011 at 07:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! ARE YOU OK??!!!!

I am one of those silly people who laughs when others get hurt so...guess what I am doing?! Although I love you to bits and am truly concerned that you are OK!

Did you get my email of pattern links? LOVED talking to you!

XO Kel

5 February 2011 at 10:30  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

Other than the falling part, I've been in this situation.

Although I have done plenty of the falling part in other icy situations. So embarrassing. And ouchie.

28 March 2011 at 13:08  

any questions?

<< Home