The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: upon reflection

The Pancake Chronicles

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

upon reflection

© Colleen Hilman
I think I'm evolving, over the course of my life, into a full-fledged turtle. All the signs are there - long neck, no chin, slow blinking lids that are never more open than halfmast. Hmmm, not to mention I'm inside my house most of the time, although I can't say I carry it with me everywhere though (cough) in my heart I do. I plod, I'm a plodder, I don't do well being rushed. Getting me to hurry is like petting a dog the wrong way - it can be done but I don't have to like it. According to Wikipedia the majority of "turtles that spend most of their life on land have their eyes looking down at objects in front of them". Me, to a T.  I see the most interesting things down there! It's amazing I haven't walked into more things than I have, mind you at the pace I'm going it wouldn't hurt much.
      The similarities end there, however, because I'm not green, I've never laid an egg (to date) and for all my "slow and steady" I've not won a race. Slow and steady doesn't win races actually (note to Aesop fans) unless, I suppose, you're racing easily waylaid rabbits. Even then. Not all hares are slackers.
      What should I do? Life in the slow lane, Bugs Bunny honking behind me and stressing me out. Speed up? Stop blinking? Envy chins? Forget it. Embrace turtlehood, is what I say!
      Now if you'll excuse me I have a shell to wax.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

*giggle* I think it would be wonderful to be a turtle sometimes. If you really are one (or at least, half-a-one) can I just say that I envy you for at least 10% of my day?

Hugs, you!

10 February 2010 at 18:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turtle away! Turtles always strike me as happy sort of fellows :) And when you want to get fancy, put on a top hat. And hey, the best song about turtles?? "Mmmm... I love Turtles!" (the chocolates!!).

I vote for staying the way you are :)

Oh and I sooo agree with your comment about using cream if you are scared of butter!

Moderation? Phooey! OK, if I was still 20 I could say phooey to moderation. Now I NEED moderation :( hahahaha!

Love Kel

10 February 2010 at 22:46  

any questions?

<< Home