The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: and the winner is ... </br><span style="color:#663366;">PURPLE</span> DOILY!

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, March 08, 2010

and the winner is ...
PURPLE DOILY!

© Colleen Hilman
T here has been a writing of names on bits of paper and a "checking twice" that all your names were there (some naughty, some nice?) and a folding and tossing of those little bits and a stirring of them into Mark's hat and then a grand descending of Mark's right hand into the hat whilst I covered my eyes with my left, a flourish of fist and paper and singularity and BEHOLD: the winner of The Pancake Chronicles 2nd Annual Giveaway is SUSAN! In response to being asked what her favourite word was she said:
      Funny you should ask because I have always had a chuckle over the words 'purple' and 'doily'... I've just always thought they sound and feel funny when I say them... not that 'doily' is often used in my everyday speech.
      These days, living in a bilingual home, I have been having fun using the french word 'franchement'... especially with attitude.
      Previously I lived in blissful ignorance never having known the word franchement. Now I long to hear someone say it to me with grit in their eye. Purple doily. Heh heh. Doily is a particularly great word for me, too. I often threaten Mark after having followed him through a hardware store that I WILL drag him to a Doily Convention someday to call it even. I'm not sure if doily conventions exist (it is the girliest thing I can think of) but if they do we are going.
      I have to say I loved reading everyone's favourite words. Loved it. I had no idea you'd get so into it! It was like a permitted peak into your psyches, your personalities, your perspectives, your paradigms. Your passion was palpable! A right proper profuse of Ps, it was! I tried saying your words aloud, to hear them and feel them as I imagined you imagining them. I would like, perhaps, to try and insert them rather casually and randomly in future posts so that when you least expect it BAM wombat.
      All that to say (ahem): Congratulations, SUSAN! It is you, old bean, and you alone. You have won a 10"x10" or 8"x10" or 8"x12" photo of mine of thy choosing. Please e-mail me at bugwrit[at]yahoo[dot]ca and we shall discuss further details! Clap yourself on the back and smile demurely at your own dear reflection. You are a winner and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
      Thank you, everyone, for doing this. I had fun! Next year ... same time, same place?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Captain Cat said...

Congratulations Susan!! Purple doily. Love it. doily doily doily.

And Colleen, you are brilliant. From now on, I am always going to say "..and then when you least expect it BAM wombat". Fantastic. Only you.

xx

9 March 2010 at 10:31  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh Bam wombat made me think of another word and it doesn't start with a 'p' - bombastic! I think it's a real word.

Congrats to Susan, who is the envy of us all!

11 March 2010 at 17:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how are your prettily-rolled sheet music it so very lovingly and artistically stacked...in a Kokanee beer flat.

Great juxtaposition going on there!

Trevor F.

12 March 2010 at 12:47  
Anonymous Colleen said...

Heh! I wondered if anyone would notice that.

12 March 2010 at 18:39  

any questions?

<< Home