The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Jones Trading Post

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, March 19, 2010

Jones Trading Post

© Colleen Hilman
Jones Trading Post is an antique shop that's almost the perfect balance between kitsch and good finds. Unless kitsch for you is a good find - well then it's perfect. At the moment I don't have a house otherwise I might've come back with a couple more items than I did, which is probably just as well. I did, however, get a mirror. Which I almost didn't get. I thought I love this mirror but should I get it? So I walked away. Then I came back. I wondered all over again. I walked away again without the mirror. What made me finally decide to purchase it was seeing a similar-sized brand new mirror elsewhere for about four times the amount and I didn't like it even a wee little bit.

© Colleen Hilman
This is not the mirror.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
These cards were great but I couldn't think of what I'd do with them if I had them.
When I was seventeen someone gave me a handbook of sorts filled with little quips and rules for a happy life, most likely 101 of them. The only thing I remember from it was the admonishment "you don't have to own everything you love". It went on to describe the freedom that comes from relishing things as you experience them without seeking to purchase them, immediately or in future. It has always stuck with me, usually for the good, but sometimes painfully so, either because of leaving behind something I loved or because of buying something I should have left behind.

© Colleen Hilman
I think that's one of the things I love about photos. They remind you of the beauty you've encountered and left behind in your life without the upkeep and concern that ownership demands. In the case of places and things anyway.

© Colleen Hilman
Even so, I wonder if there's something cool I could've done with this old sheet music if they were mine instead of letting them beribbon all on their own at Jones Trading Post.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I just LOVE that quote. 'You don't have to own everything you love'. So wise!!!

19 March 2010 at 08:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing these pictures immediately made me want to own almost everything in them. That would be a very dangerous store for me to go into!

20 March 2010 at 21:25  
Blogger Karyn said...

OK, where is this store? I need to go there. Badly.

24 March 2010 at 22:12  
Blogger Colleen said...

I know, right? It's in Golden, BC. It surprised me by it's quirkiness and made me think that perhaps antique stores in little towns carry the best treasures.

25 March 2010 at 11:36  

any questions?

<< Home