The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: lake date

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, May 07, 2010

lake date

© Colleen Hilman
How long had it been since we'd dipped the canoe in a lake? Long enough. We had a few hours an Okanagan afternoon two weeks ago to paddle away and we did. The perfect balance of crisp air and warm sun, spring at it's best, leaving the shoreline to rim us like a giant bathtub.
I love everything about our canoe. This time I noticed how much I especially loved the seats. Ironically, the seats (and the yoke) are the only things Mark did not build but I still love them. They are woven and thus super tush-friendly. As a kid I remember canoes being terribly uncomfortable after being in them for a time but ours is not and, other than the muscle pull and stretch of paddling with unpracticed shoulders, the ride is pain-free and perfectly agreeable in every way. We floated around the marina admiring the sailboats, Mark dreaming of making his own one day.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
I was stabbed with hunger part way out on the lake (skipping lunch will do that, what was I thinking?)
              ... when what to my wondering eyes should appear
              but a pub on the shore with a wee little pier!
              And our boat slipped on forward, to the dock we were tied,
              and us on our lake-legs picked a nice spot outside ....

© Colleen Hilman
Going to a restarant via boat was, oh, FUN. I loved it. Feeling full of the open air, hearty and hungry, the sun, friendship, glad for a break in a breaking year.

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
It was a very good day.

© Colleen Hilman

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

What fun! I love the pictures!

7 May 2010 at 08:18  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm only COMPLETELY jealous. Glad you guys had fun, and Mark got a happy break.

7 May 2010 at 10:15  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Sounds soooo great! I love how you just parked your canoe and went for a bite to eat. Brilliant!

7 May 2010 at 21:24  
Blogger villagegirl said...

How fantastic! I'd love to go out to dinner via boat!
Love the cigar. :)
My hubby would be so jealous!

8 May 2010 at 11:01  
Blogger Les said...

I'm ready to get back in my kayak. It was a long winter!

Love that last photo. The water is so blue!

8 May 2010 at 18:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice cigar!!! Of course he totally deserves that over the still amazing canoe he built!

Are you home? It feels (to me) like you have been on holidays for like 2 months!!! I miss you!

Gorgeous photos as always :)

Love Kel

10 May 2010 at 23:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! What a perfect way to spend the day.

11 May 2010 at 08:04  

any questions?

<< Home