The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Hotel Hilman

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, June 25, 2010

Hotel Hilman

© Colleen Hilman
You are witnessing my first breakfast back in the Knife. It was also my first lunch, thus the grocery list.
It feels over the top having to build a kitchen from scratch. Feel like a sandwich? Buy the bread ($3.89), buy the mayo ($5.69), the dijon ($3.17), and cheese ($12.69), buy the salt ($2.83) and the pepper ($5.59), the cucumber ($1.69), avocado ($2.15), tomatoes ($2.01) and spinach ($5.63). There! A sandwich for you for the low, low price of $45.69! Last night I was prepared to make pancakes. I had a flipper and the mix but amidst the pots in my hotel cupboards was nary a pan to be found. Oatmeal and bacon and eggs anyone?

© Colleen Hilman
It sounds like I'm complaining but I don't feel it. It's actually really nice creating beginnings. After all, the next sandwich is on the house, right?

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh Colleen! Those prices make me shudder.
Hopefully wages up north are inflated as well :)

25 June 2010 at 09:40  
Blogger Nan said...

I swear, there is already a lilt in your pictures and a humor in your writing that seems to come out in Yellowknife! I'm amazed! Do you know what I mean, Colleen, or am I just crazy? :<) Who cares about money?!

25 June 2010 at 10:47  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

The first month or two after a big move, the grocery bill is already a little steep--not to mention the inflated prices in the North! It's nice and hard at the same time not having everything you are used to having to cook with. Wowee. Thank goodness for Northern Living Allowance. It takes a small bite out of the high cost of eating.

25 June 2010 at 11:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have just skipped the avacado, but $13 for cheese? And I thought my cheese habit was a wee bit expensive. Was it super-duper gouda, or Edam, Oka or plain old orange cheddar?

Trevor

25 June 2010 at 13:47  
Blogger Erin said...

So enjoy reading your posts.

25 June 2010 at 13:57  
Blogger Colleen said...

Okay. URG about the cheese because it was actually on sale and I didn't notice until I wrote this post and was checking my receipt that they overcharged me. URG. And it was white cheddar, the strong stuff - my fave.

P.S. URG.

25 June 2010 at 15:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Knife? Overcharge you on something? No way!

I am envious that you can go to Northern Fancy Meats!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE their teriyaki steaks at $10 per!

As you said, at least the next sandwich is on the house ;)

Lovey dovey and hugs,

kel

25 June 2010 at 17:15  
Blogger Monika said...

That's one expensive sandwich! At least you'll get a few sandwiches out of that price. :)

26 June 2010 at 13:04  
Anonymous Patricia said...

Are you at the Capital Suites? (notepad in the breakfast photo looks like their logo &-})-can't get a live person to answer the phone. Would you like to live in our house from 10 july to 1 August instead of in a hotel--it's yours if you want it. Call me.
p.s. i'm thrilled that you're back.
pea

26 June 2010 at 19:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm craving a sandwich. But not one as expensive as yours. ;)

28 June 2010 at 10:09  

any questions?

<< Home