The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: first light

The Pancake Chronicles

Friday, November 12, 2010

first light

© Colleen Hilman
“I know the look of an apple that is roasting and sizzling on the hearth on a winter's evening, and I know the comfort that comes of eating it hot, along with some sugar and a drench of cream.... I know how the nuts taken in conjunction with winter apples, cider, and doughnuts, make old people's tales and old jokes sound fresh and crisp and enchanting.”


Mark Twain from The Autobiography of Mark Twain

   Is it just me or are McIntosh apples the best apples in the whole world? It might be me because I've never met someone else who loves them first and most. I've got your back, McIntosh!  Really, I wouldn't care if I never had another apple ever again. McIntoshes are the ones for me. Today I made the biggest apple crisp I could've made considering there are only two people here to consume it. I haven't tried it yet. It's sitting upon the stove, brown and discreet, warming itself under a blanket of buttery oats and brown sugar.  I want to eat it when I'm good and hungry and every little drooly drip of warmed vanilla ice cream is a pathway to apple bliss.

6 Comments:

Anonymous splendid said...

i love this photo, this quote and your devotion to the greatest comfort food in the world!

12 November 2010 at 05:53  
Blogger Keri's Collage... said...

I love love love mcintosh apples! Especially in the 'crisp' form :)

12 November 2010 at 09:03  
Blogger Monika said...

Yummy! That apple crisp sounds delicious....I'll be right over :)

12 November 2010 at 15:58  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you, splendid! I love this quote, too. It fills me with all sorts of wonderful feelings and thoughts. The full quote is quite long but just as lovely should you ever want to read more of it.

Keri! Hooray! No really. HOORAY! I really did think I was alone and was hoping someone would emerge. They are the best and that is all there is to it. :)

Moni! Please come! Oh how that would make my day. Yellowknife has never been the same since you left. If all it takes is apple crisp then right on! ♡

13 November 2010 at 00:38  
Blogger villagegirl said...

my fav for years has been Galas. I haven't had a mac for ages and now I think I must try them again.

15 November 2010 at 16:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dare I admit that I don't care for apples of any variety? Although I do enjoy them in the "crisp" form. :)

17 November 2010 at 14:55  

any questions?

<< Home