The Pancake Chronicles

The Pancake Chronicles: Buttermilk Scones

The Pancake Chronicles

Monday, December 13, 2010

Buttermilk Scones

© Colleen Hilman
Oh buttermillk scones, you are are my favourite!

© Colleen Hilman
One fine morning my dear friend Shari made me a scone. Then Shari made me eat the scone. Shari did not make me eat the second scone but I ate it anyway because I am sacrificial like that. Upon tasting I asked for the recipe forthwith. I received the recipe from Shari who, it turns out, had asked for the recipe from her friend who had written it down from somebody else who had likely copied it from their great aunt's sister-in-law somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight. It's one of those.  The kind with almost no origin so distant are it's beautiful beginnings.

© Colleen Hilman
Even the scones themselves are singing their own praises.  They are that good.

© Colleen Hilman
If you recognize this recipe as your own or somebody else's please let me know and I will properly credit Whomever for bringing this into the world. 

© Colleen Hilman
Whomever should not go unnamed!

© Colleen Hilman
Buttermilk Scones

3 cups flour (3¼ cups for cheese scones)
½ cup white sugar (¼ cup or no sugar at all for cheese scones)
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup butter
1 cup buttermilk (if no buttermilk substitute milk plus 2 tbsp vinegar to equal 1 cup)

For cheese scones add 1 cup shredded cheddar before adding milk to mixture and for fruit scones add 1 cup fruit and the rind of an orange or lemon before adding milk to mixture.
Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter with pastry blender. Add cheese or fruit now. Gradually add buttermilk into dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Roll or press dough out on floured surface into a circle ¾” thick. Slice into 8-10 wedges like a pizza. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375-400° F for 16-18 minutes.
I used the wild cranberries I'd found on Plane Crash Island and combined them with a ½ cup of blueberries - so good and so pretty. Inspired, I tells ya!

© Colleen Hilman

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

woo hoo... this is definitely on my list to try! thanks!

13 December 2010 at 01:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look SO good. I wish I could have one for breakfast this morning.

13 December 2010 at 09:19  
Blogger Rachel said...

Me thinks I would like those.

13 December 2010 at 22:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still make this recipe from you!!! After I tried one, I had to have more! They are so good!!! Me thinks I need some tomorrow! :)

KEl

14 December 2010 at 00:56  
Blogger Nan said...

Making them tomorrow. Thank you, thank you.

14 December 2010 at 21:51  
Blogger Dickie Chick said...

Yeah!!! LOVE those scones!! :p
Love You!

24 December 2010 at 15:27  
Blogger Susan Moorhead said...

New to your blog but anyone who can take such great photos, make diving looking scones, and knows a place named Plane Crash Island is swell in my book :)

3 January 2011 at 20:49  
Blogger Colleen said...

Thank you, Susan! :)

4 January 2011 at 23:14  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

I am SO making these. Maybe even today.

You labelled this "faces"? I couldn't see the face. I guess I still haven't trained my imagination appropriately. Sigh. I keep trying.

10 January 2011 at 11:07  
Blogger Colleen said...

They are AWESOME. Someone I know just made these with sugar in the raw. I thought I would try that next time. Let me know your alterations! And the face is the PacMan singing into the pizza cutter. A stretch maybe. ♡

10 January 2011 at 19:01  
Blogger Colleen said...

(Eep! They themselves were not in the raw to my knowledge! The sugar was. Ahem.)

10 January 2011 at 19:02  
Blogger Scrapnqueen said...

NOW I see it! Hee hee!

11 January 2011 at 09:57  

any questions?

<< Home